Engineering Operations is part of the BBCs Design and Engineering division. The department actively helps BBC programme makers create and deliver great content across radio, TV and online. As a support department our role is to make life as easy as possible for those using the BBCs technology,while minimising the amount of Licence Fee we consume in doing so.
Engineering Operations within BBC Engineering is principally responsible for supporting live and recorded programme output, supporting studios, broadcast infrastructure and digital production systems across domestic and international offices.
AV Technicians works alongside the Technology Support teams in Salford to provide installation and support of meeting rooms and audio visual equipment for production. They also work across some outdoor events, providing front of house, safety testing and rigging/derigging services.
Tech Support staff are responsible for delivering a high quality support service on behalf of the BBC. They ensure that equipment and systems used to create, capture, manipulate and distribute BBC content meet targets for availability, performance and safety.
AV Technicians provide support of audio, video and IT equipment used in the meeting rooms and event spaces within BBC North. They are also responsible for the set up, operation and facilitation of events of varying complexities. In addition to this they also provide professional support and advice to internal BBC departments running events. The role integrates immediate operational support with fault diagnosis and general equipment testing. There may also be a requirement to make up leads and cables for audio and video installations and, where possible, carrying out electrical safety testing and basic repairs to equipment. Technicians are concerned with applying proven techniques and procedures to the solution of incidents, problems and management of safety. The AV Team also provide support to the broadcast engineering team on Tv and Radio outside broadcasts.
Technicians may work as part of a team, under the supervision of an engineer, or independently. Technicians have to be prepared to be flexible at times to meet the needs of the operation.
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for candidates with the following:
- Experience of working in an AV, broadcast, technology, or similar environment
- An interest in the creative elements of broadcasting, including knowledge of production and location recording techniques
- An ability to act quickly, pragmatically and assertively under pressure to prioritise and resolve technical issues
- Familiarity and empathy with the needs of multi-media production teams including an awareness of pressures and deadlines
- An ability to systematically analyse and diagnose technical issues
- Self motivated to initiate appropriate action within BBC guidelines, and be responsible for consequent decisions
- Ability to communicate clearly with a range of people at different levels of the organisation and explain and discuss technical issues using a range of styles, tools and techniques
- Ability to effectively plan, prioritise and co-ordinate own and others activities, and be pro active in supporting the engineering teams
- Experience of assessing and advising on technical standards in line with BBC guidelines
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team, working collaboratively and safely, within a group to a defined goal
- Flexible and varied approach, devising creative solutions.
- Relevant qualifications, preferably with a technical bias e.g. electronics, media technology and/or demonstrable practical experience
- Knowledge of current and relevant health and safety legislation particularly electrical safety.
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.