An experienced archive assistant is required to assist with a project to catalogue and repackage the BBC Monitoring (BBC M) papers and other material currently held at BBC Monitoring, Caversham Park, near Reading. Candidates with significant relevant experience in a related field (e.g. museums or libraries) will also be considered.
In the 1960s BBC Monitoring began to store original transcripts and digests produced by BBC M from its earliest days of monitoring in 1939 to 1984 with the Imperial War Museum (IWM). This collection has now been moved back on to BBC premises.
Papers in the collection consist of:
- Original translations and internal documents in paper format of monitoring of foreign radio broadcasts/newspapers
- Summary of World Broadcasts: 1939 1947
- An Index linking back to the translations
The process to catalogue the collection has been defined and the initial catalogue structure is in place.The archive assistant would be expected to work to the process defined and the documentation required. The work will be carried out in situ in Caversham Park.
- To carry out detailed cataloguing of the material, following in-house cataloguing guidelines and under the direction of the Archivist.
- Whilst preserving the current order of the material as far as possible; transfer the records into non acidic boxes, remove all existing paper clips and staples and change those for non- acidic folders, brass or plastic paper clips. Prepare the material for eventual removal and deposit in deep storage and eventually a receiving institution (tbc).
- Record all required information in an excel spreadsheet and/ or cataloguing software.
- Work closely with, and under the direction of, the Archivists currently working on the collection.
- To undertake other duties appropriate to the level of the position.
- Manual lifting and handling of material.
The Ideal Candidate
- Educated to A level or equivalent.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience or informed knowledge of archive processes.
- Experience of working under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Experience of using archive cataloguing software such as CALM or AdLib.
- Experience of carrying out basic conservation/ preservation tasks.
- Knowledge of procedures involved with the safe handling of collections.
- Excellent proven organisational skills with flexible approach to a wide range of duties.
- Methodical and accurate.
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.