BBC Software Engineering Graduate Trainee Scheme
To get the most from your career you need the very best opportunities and the BBC Software Engineering Graduate Scheme offers just that. This popular scheme, now in its sixth successful year, offers the unique chance do something genuinely special making things that are enjoyed by millions. Almost everyone in the UK spends time with BBC content each week and it feels great to be part of something that reaches so many people.
Our two-year scheme enables you to experience four different areas of BBC Design & Engineering, working on any of our dynamic products, services and supporting infrastructure, so you can be confident of finding something that fits you perfectly. During your four 6-month rotations you will become experienced in many different languages and methodologies, getting the chance to work on a variety of platforms, from an iOS app to developing scalable code on Amazon Web Services.
Although you will be based in MediaCityUK Salfordyou will have theopportunity to select a rotation in one or more of our other office locations, including Cardiff, Glasgow and London.
You'll also receive lots of relevant training from our award-winning in-house training facility and will be working alongside some of the industrys best senior developers and product specialists in a positive, friendly and collaborative environment.
The Ideal Candidate
WHATS ON OFFER:
- A starting salary of 22,489 with an increase in your second year
- A comprehensive training programme covering many technologies and agile team skills
- Experience of working on some of the world's best software applications in an exciting, creative environment
- Attendance at industry and academic events all whilst learning how we make the best television and radio programmes in the world
- 25 days holiday per year
- Eligibility to join the BBC pension scheme, employee discount scheme, cycle-to-work scheme and travel season ticket scheme
For information on entry requirements and our application process, please view the FAQ sheet attached below.
About the Company
ABOUT BBC DESIGN & ENGINEERING
We deliver products, platforms and services globally, supporting the BBC's digital transformation and helping to change the BBC into an internet fit broadcaster. Our software engineers are at the very heart of this transformation and as part of the Software Engineering Graduate Scheme you will work on our most innovative and popular digital products, including the BBC Sport app, BBC Childrens website and apps and of course BBC iPlayer, our pioneering on-demand service, to name just a few. You will learn and use a vast array of technologies, including:
- Amazon Web Services (including AWS Lambda, DynamoDB, S3 and EC2)
- HTML5/CSS3 (including pre-processors, such as Sass)
- Java and Objective C
- Functional languages (including Scala and Haskell)
- Ruby (including Rails, Cucumber)
- Relational, NoSQL and Graph databases
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications fromunder-representedgroups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.