Broadcast Journalist, BBC Minute
BBC Minute is a 24/7 global news service designed for young, connected audiences. It is made by the BBC World Service and played out on music FM stations around the world, as well as digital platforms. It offers stories of the moment that are relevant for those audiences, in a style that entertains as well as educates and informs. The service provides one minute of audio news - in English - every half an hour. The team have recently launched a brand new product – BBC Minute: On – which delves into the stories which matter most to young audiences from the latest tech, business, science and the trends behind the headlines.
This is a great opportunity to develop your presentation skills as well as establish experience in specialist subjects such as entertainment, tech and world affairs. We need experienced multi-platform BJs who are able to provide the BBC Minute using a great variety of content and style.
All team members are expected to produce, write and read bulletins on air. They are also expected to be able to produce content for social media. All team members work shifts, including days, nights and weekends.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate will have:
- Considerable journalistic experience in either TV, Radio or Digital
- Demonstrable understanding of the needs and interests of younger audiences around the world
- Excellent knowledge of international news, sport, current affairs and social affairs
- An awareness of the marketplace in which BBC minute operates
- An excellent understanding of social media tools and ability to use these across a range of platforms.
- Experience of presentation or reporting and the ability to deliver on air in modern, spoken English.
- A track-record of imaginative and creative story-telling and innovative production techniques
- First class writing skills in contemporary English
- Proven experience of working - and the ability to maintain composure - in a time pressured and deadline environment
- Proven ability to work quickly, calmly and accurately under pressure
- A thorough knowledge of editorial aims and policies of BBC World Service and BBC News
- A comprehensive knowledge of the law and BBC producer guidelines as it applies to your work as a journalist.
Grade 7D (£33,795 - £50,202 per annum)
Contract: 12 month attachment / fixed term contract
You'll receive a flexibility allowance (£2,759 per annum) to cover irregular working patterns.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title shortly after joining the BBC.