Business Analyst - BBC Three
Business Analysis provides a key function in the BBC’s multi-disciplinary Design and Engineering teams that are responsible for defining and delivering digital products.
Working as part of the agile delivery team, the Business Analyst role is responsible for the requirements analysis and creation throughout the delivery lifecycle. Requirements elicitation, workshop facilitation and collaboration between teams are a key part of this role.
Business Analysts work with a range of product managers, editorial staff, project managers and agile delivery teams to help define the next generation of the BBC’s digital products.
This role supports the bbc.co.uk/three proposition on web and mobile – home of BBC Three’s innovative, targeted content on the BBC website. The proposition complement’s BBC Three’s distribution of long-form and new-form content on BBC television channels, BBC iPlayer and on social media.
Reporting to the Product Manager* – and working with project management and engineering colleagues, the Business Analyst supports the evolution of these products in line with defined business goals
- Collect, understand, and communicate the business requirements for products, projects, and features, translating these into user stories and acceptance criteria.
- Support the product owner in defining the product and feature requirements.
- Elicit, analyse and document processes to define existing workflows or model new workflows that supports the product definition.
- Facilitate workshops including delivery and product teams to expose stories, identify acceptance criteria and construct release backlogs.
- Manage the release backlog and work with delivery teams to keep it up to date and ready for sprint planning.
- Work with the project manager & delivery team to estimate backlog items and ensure optimal flow through the delivery process.
- Collaboratively define acceptance criteria with the Product Manager, the software development teams and test engineers, ensuring the delivered solution meets the business requirements.
- Collaborate with project managers and delivery teams to ensure the delivery of the products and new features to a high standard, and within agreed timescales and budget.
- Help to shape and define team practices and processes to continually improve agile ways of working.
- Be at the forefront of emerging technologies and understand their relevance to the product, BBC and its diverse audience.
- Research and interpret consumer usage and industry consumer trend data to contribute to the development of product solutions.
- Gather, analyse, and report on audience usage data to benchmark and measure the performance of the product.
- Evaluate and investigate product solutions using a range of approaches, including researching competitor products and other BBC services.
The Ideal Candidate
- Understanding of relevant technologies, especially data analytics tools, linked data, web and mobile application frameworks
- Ability to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts and be able to explore and evaluate them systematically.
- Quickly understands business requirements and technical challenges on a project
- Demonstrable experience of requirements documenting for various audiences - both technical & non-technical
- Demonstrable experience of using relevant documenting & diagramming techniques such as Use Cases, User Stories, User Journeys
- Takes input from product owner and is able to work autonomously to deliver the required artefacts
- Demonstrable experience of working in multiple methodologies such as Agile and other iterative development methodologies
- An eye for detail, Understanding and experience of business analysis skills, techniques, and practices with an eye for detail.
- Experience of deadline driven environment with rapid release cycles.
- Will work collaboratively with stakeholders and stay open to ideas/suggestions from others.
- Understanding of relevant technologies, especially online application projects.
- Be at the forefront of emerging technologies and understand their relevance to the product, BBC and its diverse audience
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.