Business Development Manager - Digital Partners
In BBC Distribution and Business Development, we ensure that the BBC’s public services are innovative, prominent and available to all, now and in the future. We need a highly motivated individual to join our team and play a leading role in the evolution of BBC services across broadcast, hybrid and IP platforms.
You will have well-developed knowledge in the field of linear and non-linear distribution. You will also have a strong interest in how audiences want to consume TV, Radio and online services and a desire to inspire change.
You will have an understanding of overall BBC strategic context, service requirements and business environment, and will use personal domain and commercial expertise to propose, establish and optimise how BBC services are delivered to our audiences. You will work with the BBC’s external partners to build productive relationships and ensure that the audience can enjoy our services across a diverse range of outlets and platforms.
Working with editorial and strategy colleagues, you will help to develop and demonstrate the art of the possible for BBC services, and contribute to BBC strategy as the journey towards an IP-centric future unfolds. You will be a key contributor to larger, complex projects and take responsibility for leading substantial projects of your own.
The focus for this specific role is to act as Distribution & Business Development’s key point of contact for BBC Children’s and on forming strategic partnerships with digital and technology companies in the children’s space, identifying ways that the BBC can work with the market to enhance and extend the reach of the BBC’s audience facing children’s products and services.
This role advises the BBC Children’s team on competitor activity, market developments and industry news and ensures that they are kept up to date on all Distribution & Business Development activity that is relevant to the division. The individual also acts as the BBC’s point of contact for mobile app stores (Google, Apple and Amazon) in connection with apps developed and released by BBC Children’s.
- Working closely with BBC stakeholders (e.g. Children’s, TV, Radio, News) to propose solutions that provide optimum routes to market for BBC service requirements
- Scoping and management of projects to develop new and existing BBC services, directing the work of project team members across the BBC and partners, ensuring compliant and timely delivery
- Manage third parties and the BBC’s key partners to ensure current and future distribution needs are met. Support contract negotiations, identifying areas of opportunity and risk for the BBC, seeking and acting on legal advice as required
- Monitor partner performance against BBC requirements, proposing corrective action and providing appropriate communications to audiences and stakeholders
- A contributor to development of BBC distribution strategy across broadcast and IP, and a source of domain knowledge
- Contribute to briefings for senior managers and input to board papers, orally and in writing
- Develop personal domain expertise and build reputation within the BBC and externally, representing the BBC as required
The Ideal Candidate
- Degree or equivalent experience
- Extensive domain experience and track record of achievement in the media sector
- Thorough understanding of the content delivery landscape (broadcasting and IP) and the BBC’s position in it, and the strategic importance of the distribution business
- Good influencing and diplomatic skills, able to build trusting, productive relationships with senior level contacts inside and outside the organisation
- Strong persuasion and negotiation skills. Experience of influencing strategy at a senior level
- Good understanding and experience of legal terminology and contract principles, negotiation and practices
- Experience of working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams across organisational boundaries, managing diverse stakeholder interests
- Project management skills and demonstrable experience of major projects and programmes
- Able to work on own initiative, under pressure and to tight deadlines, with a creative approach to problem solving
- Ability to deal with multiple issues as they arise, remaining calm and effective
- Flexibility in dealing with different scenarios and people, and with skills to resolve conflict
- Able to influence by example and inspire appropriate behaviours amongst colleagues
- Ability to build and lead effective teams, and to ensure tasks are followed through to completion
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Computer literate - Word, Excel, PowerPoint & specialist software packages relevant to the activities of the role
FTC/Attachment - 6 months
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.