Globally, BBC Worldwide takes a lead role in developing premium content for audiences through a strong slate of programmes, leveraging deeper producer relationships, and by pursuing a more creative approach to deal-making. We’re looking for people to join the team who can help us to maximise the return from our content relationships through access to programmes and creation of new IP, exposure to growth businesses, and ever-closer partnering.
The purpose of the role is to comply editorial content to meet UK and global broadcast codes, upholding the highest standards on all platforms to maintain the reputation of the BBC.
- To comply and when necessary refer to SCA when edits are required, with the aim of creating a timeless Worldwide Master that is fully compliant with BBC values and standards and different regulatory bodies worldwide.
- Note and flag up compliance issues on the programme log, seeking practical and timely advice on compliance solutions, and knowing when and how to make a ‘daytime safe’ version of the programme for wider broadcast use.
- Be responsible for keeping a clear audit trail of all decisions made so that issues can be tracked effectively and speedily.
- Work flexibly to and accurately as part of a close knit team to comply fast turn around and emergency jobs, working across other platforms as the need arises and share learnings.
- Keep abreast of all regulatory and BBC guideline changes potentially affecting the compliance of the output.
- Attendance of Compliance team meetings via video conferencing if based regionally.
- Ensure best practice in how to apply appropriate signposting, content warnings and age restrictive classifications across all territories.
- To comply last minute additions to the schedule and/or particularly problematic programmes quickly and clearly.
- To establish and maintain close working relationships with counterparts at BBC Worldwide
- To maintain good working relationships with counterparts in BBC Worldwide overseas.
- To be aware of the wider social impact of content viewed.
Scope & Impact
- The success of the role will be measured by effective turnaround of all content, meeting deadlines but not at the expense of accuracy.
- A wide-ranging role that helps to uphold and maintain the quality of all AV programming across the Content areas from channels to DVDs and digital platforms.
- Maintaining the compliance units position as the centre of excellence on all content compliance matters.
Strategic Planning & Decision Making
- Prioritising urgent and important tasks on a day-to-day basis
- Working with TX critical material and deadlines
- Suggest edits to programme material to suit territories, channels and time slots
The Ideal Candidate
- Knowledge of BBC Editorial guidelines
- Knowledge of OFCOM guidelines
- An understanding of regulatory guidelines for the territories in which our content is broadcast or made digitally available, such as the BCCSA (South Africa), MDA (Singapore), The Malaysian Content Code, ACMA (Australia) etc.
- Awareness of ASA, ATVOD, BCAP and BBFC guidelines
- Experience in making editorial decisions
- An understanding of different cultures and sensitivities with a global perspective
- An awareness of legal issues such as libel, contempt and defamation
- An eye for detail and accuracy
- Excellent computer skills and good organisational skills
- Ability to work within a team and share information, as well as an ability to work on own initiative
- The ability to make clear and effective decisions under pressure and communicate the decision clearly to all relevant parties
- Self-driven and motivated with the ability to work to defined processes and tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of BBC Compliance Manager and the BBC complaints process
- Experience of using and maintaining an Excel database
- Knowledge of broadcast scheduling systems
- Knowledge of the programme making process an advantage
- Minimum degree level or equivalent professional experience
- Experience in either an Editorial Compliance role or a comparable discipline within a commercial broadcast environment.
- Experience of the wider broadcasting environment and multi-platform services.
About the Company
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in; commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world, In 2015/16, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £133.8M and headline sales of £1,029.4M and returned £222.2M to the BBC. Comprised predominantly of the non-English speaking world, our Global Markets business encompasses Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (CEMA), Asia and Latin America. Business activities range from TV sales and channel operation to production and intellectual property exploitation, Commerce.