We need an Editorial Designer to join our newly formed Visual Journalism team (part of BBC News). Youll be working with world-class journalists, technical experts and masters of motion graphics to create the next generation of storytelling formats.
Were not talking 9 to 5. Youll be at the heart of the action whena story breaks, working closely with senior team membersto deliver experiences that resonate across BBC News. Wherever and whenever our audience encounters us.
- Contribute design expertise to project teams made up of journalists, product managers and developers.
- Communicate conceptual ideas and design decisions to project teams.
- Collaborate with other members of UX&D to produce sketched concepts, user journeys, wireframes and navigational prototypes that reflect user needs.
- Provide designs across multiple screens for projects that deliver coherent user experiences.
- Advocate accurate data representation and accessible design solutions.
- Deliver maps, charts, information graphics and branding to support daily output.
- Develop the visual and interaction elements of the user experience and refine towards a polished design, taking into consideration typography, iconography, layout and brand identity.
- Work across boundaries to advance the BBCs Global Experience Language.
- Prioritise your own workload.
- Mentor junior team members and help set development objectives.
- Work with external agencies to gain new perspectives and drive innovation.
- Proactively guerrilla test concepts to ensure our audiences are integral to the design process.
- Help to ensure that the BBCs 10 online products work seamlessly together to provide a single service across all screens.
- Deliver information graphics and user experiences that can be easily re-worked to accommodate multiple languages.
Youll receive flexibility allowance to cover irregular working patterns.
The Ideal Candidate
Youve already done outstanding work across different screens, be they mobile, connected TV, tablet or desktop. And youve got the portfolio to prove it.
Now youre hungry to get your teeth into some delicious new challenges, using your deft way with information design to unfurl even the knottiest of problems.
Your brain might tend towards data visualisation, information graphics and mapping, or layout, colour and typography. Either way youll have a breadth of skills you can use to create the ideal user experience. Maybe youve even got something special up your sleeve, like youre an amazing prototype builder, responsive design expert or 3D animator.
You can pitch your work to people from all sorts of backgrounds and youre the person in the room whos always fighting the users corner. You dont just want to design the best thing; you want the right thing for the whole audience. Your resilience is legendary.
You have editorial nous the nose for a story in a spreadsheet. Youre a skilled storyteller with a firm grasp on how design can make a story comprehensible, compelling and relevant.
Youre comfortable applying your skills to whatever situation arises, be it a new device or an unfamiliar design package. Youve got a great degree in design or the equivalent on-the-job experience.
We like people who are:
- enthusiastic about what they do and a delight to work with;
- obsessive about accurate, timely delivery and being the first to break the latest news;
- motivated and full of ideas;
- serious about current affairs;
- geeky about information design and the latest developments in technology.
If you are interested in joining us -takealookat examples of our work:
Diagrams (Bin Laden compound):
Static map (London helicopter crash):
Interactive map (Damn busters):
Interactive Data Viz (Census):
Personal relevance calculator (Class):
Interactive video (Deepwater)
About the Company
At BBC UX&D we design experiences for the audience of tomorrow, and deliver them to the audience of today. And weve won plenty of awards for our efforts.
The wider UX&D team works to create groundbreaking user experiences on four screens (Connected TV, Desktop, Mobile, and Tablet) across 10 products (BBC Homepage, Search, News, Sport, Weather, Knowledge & Learning, CBeebies, CBBC, iPlayer and Radio & Music). Collaborating strategically with technical, editorial and product teams from across the BBC, we create elegant, delightful experiences that transcend the barriers between old and new media. We are a global brand, our audience is international and we must deliver our designs and user experiences in multiple languages so we can reach all our users.