Finance Manager - Global Content
The Global Content Division is responsible for managing BBC Worldwide’s programme investment portfolio for which the annual investment spend exceeds c.£150m and also manages Worldwide’s Indie Investment portfolio, providing strategic support for format sales and the production network within Worldwide.
The Finance department manages the company wide programme investment accounting process including asset ledgers, amortisation costs, royalty payments to independent production companies and content charge. In addition, the department provides the financial support for Indie Investments and any in-house productions.
The Finance Manager, Global Content, will provide oversight over the amortisation and royalty payment costs related to Worldwide’s content portfolio and ensure that these costs are re-charged to the regions on a timely and accurate basis. The role will work closely with other areas of the business, including the Investment Support team, Talent Accounting and Group and Regional Finance teams.
- Preparation of a consolidated view of content related costs, primarily consisting of royalty payments to independent production companies and amortisation of the content portfolio
- Responsible for preparing/reviewing content related costs as part of the month-end reporting process and for budget/forecast including cash flow implications
- Review and analysis of automated journal postings made in relation to royalty and amortisation costs
- Global reporting of content charge including performing analysis to understand key drivers in variances against budget/forecast e.g. explaining impact of sales mix volume variances, changes in content investment
- Monthly calculation and review of actual content charge working with regional finance teams to resolve issues and queries.
- Lead on preparation of ad-hoc analysis as required by the business including presentation of analysis to senior stakeholders
- Supervision and development of 2 finance analysts including review of work performed around month-end and budget/forecast process
The Ideal Candidate
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Strong analytical skills
- Influencing and networking skills
- Complex problem solving and attention to detail
- Project and team management
- Communicating and presentation skills including ability to explain calculations to finance and non-finance community.
- Excellent planning and organisation
- Hold a professional qualification (ACA, ACCA or CIMA) with 2 years PQE
About the Company
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in; commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world, In 2015/16, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £133.8M and headline sales of £1,029.4M and returned £222.2M to the BBC. Comprised predominantly of the non-English speaking world, our Global Markets business encompasses Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (CEMA), Asia and Latin America. Business activities range from TV sales and channel operation to production and intellectual property exploitation.