Financial Accounting Manager
The Financial Accounting Manager is responsible for consolidation process and ensuring that statutory and other external reporting requirements are met and that the Group complies with generally accepted accounting standards and practices.
- Provide robust technical accounting support, including advice in respect of acquisitions and disposals, financial instruments, revenue recognition and cost capitalisation to ensure the business complies with relevant reporting requirements.
- Manage statutory financial reporting for the Group, including liaising with the Group’s external auditors to ensure that interim and year end audits are well planned, managed and coordinated. 2017/18 is a transition year for the Group between EY and its new auditor, the NAO – this transition will be managed by the Group Accounting Manager.
- Monitor accounting and reporting developments under IFRS and UK GAAP, perform research on technical accounting issues and help to train the wider finance community as accounting guidance continues to evolve to support the delivery of best practice.
- Maintain the Group’s accounting policies and liaise with the BBC Financial Reporting Manager to ensure consistency reporting requirements and with BBC group policies.
- Manage complex accounting transactions and analysis, including financial instruments and foreign exchange.
- Work with the wider business to ensure that all intragroup transactions are identified and eliminated as appropriate to ensure that intragroup balances are reconciled and differences fully investigated and resolved.
- Oversee a number of group reconciliations and supervise the performance of key Group reconciliations to improve the quality and timeliness of balance sheet reporting and understanding.
- Liaise with the Tax and Treasury teams to ensure balances are appropriately recorded and relevant action taken where required e.g. compliance with banking covenants.
- Build strong working relationships with operational finance teams across the Group, BBC Group Finance and IT to ensure that issues are anticipated and resolved constructively on a timely basis.
- Recruit, lead, motivate, develop and manage the performance of direct reports, building a high calibre team with the skills and capabilities needed to deliver the required results;
Scope & Impact
- BBC Worldwide’s Group Finance team manages all aspects of the consolidation and reporting of the Group’s results, both to the Board and externally.
- The Financial Accounting Manager reports to the Director of Group Finance and has a team of two Group Financial Accountants. This is a high profile role within a well-respected team with the highest standards of quality.
- The Group Financial Accounting team is responsible for external reporting and technical accounting, setting accounting policy and best practice procedures across the Group, providing technical advice to operational teams and assisting in major non-routine transactions. It also oversees the group’s subsidiary accounts process and the preparation of various reconciliations, and providing some input into the monthly management accounts process.
- Key measures for this role include:
- Delivery of timely and accurate statutory reporting
- Number of adjustments identified by the external auditors during the audit process
- Provision of robust technical accounting advice, having regard to commercial implications. Presentation of such advice in a manner suitable to an audience including, but not limited to, the BBCW CFO and FDs.
- Extent to which existing processes can be streamlined and delivered more efficiently
- Team morale and performance
The Ideal Candidate
Knowledge & Skills
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Excellent awareness of current and prospective technical accounting and reporting requirements under both IFRS and UK GAAP;
- Practical knowledge and understanding of treasury operations and financial instruments;
- Confident and flexible team player with the ability to influence at all levels;
- Proactive and self-motivated with the genuine drive and commitment to improve the effectiveness of reporting processes;
- Strong numerical and analytical skills; and
- Good spreadsheet and IT skills (prior experience of using SAP would be an advantage, but training will be given as required).
- Qualified accountant with extensive PQE (ACA or equivalent preferred)
- Experience of statutory financial reporting and consolidation in a complex multinational organisation obtained either through industry or practice
- Experience of working with listed groups and/or public interest entities
- Excellent awareness of current technical accounting and reporting requirements under IFRS and UK GAAP
- A genuine interest in the Entertainment & Media sector
About the Company
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in; commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world, In 2015/16, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £133.8M and headline sales of £1,029.4M and returned £222.2M to the BBC. Comprised predominantly of the non-English speaking world, our Global Markets business encompasses Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (CEMA), Asia and Latin America. Business activities range from TV sales and channel operation to production and intellectual property exploitation, Commerce.