News Labs is a multi-discipline incubator, exploring scalable opportunities at the intersection of:
We work closely with BBC NEWS and BBC R&D, and we collaborate with News organisations, and academic & research institutions globally.
News Labs is the focal point for News’ innovation work, sharing its knowledge and experience where needed and enabling News to develop new ideas and products in the most efficient and effective manner.
BBC News Labs is looking for a talented and influential front-end designer/developer to join our core team to build beautiful, functional and exciting applications.
Some of the areas we’ve been exploring right now include 360, VR, live streaming and language technology.
Please visit some our blog to see some of the projects we have been working on: http://bbcnewslabs.co.uk/projects/
- Design and develop user interfaces which change the way journalists work, and audiences consume news.
- Work closely with editorial stakeholders and other developers to initiate, specify, design and build prototypes that create great impact on BBC journalism and the wider industry.
- Help to run and take part in industry hackathons, and collaborate with universities and other media organisations.
- Help shape our ways of working across a wide portfolio of different projects.
The Ideal Candidate
- An enthusiasm for News with a willingness to experiment and try new solutions to problems faced by editorial and technical teams.
- Flexibility to deal with multiple small projects in a short space of time.
- A good grasp of UX design – you’ll often be doing the design as well as the ‘front end’ development. You should have experience making things that look great without a design team and be comfortable hooking your front end into APIs built by others.
- Excellent front-end web development skills:
- HTML5. Semantic markup patterns for flexible reuse.
- CSS / SCSS. Good understanding of modern techniques such as Responsive Web Design.
- Strong interest in user interface design
- Experience of TDD
- Experience of consuming RESTful web services via HTTP.
- Experience of Agile Programming, pairing and working within a collaborative team.
A BIG PLUS WOULD BE:
- Experience of frameworks such as Angular, React
- Interest/experience in data visualisation (D3.js, maps, etc.)
- Experience of deploying and supporting applications deployed to AWS
- Experience in Version control systems (Subversion, Git).
- Experience of Unix OS
- Experience of writing high quality server side code
- Experience of database technologies
12 Months FTC / Attachment
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title when starting the role.