IT Support / Broadcast Engineer
Looking for a unique and exciting opportunity? Do you have a great personality and love to build services at scale? Looking for the next career step within IT support?
BBC News is replacing their current Newsroom Computer system with OpenMedia, by Annova. This is the first ever installation of this enterprise scale IT system in the UK. It delivers integration with the wide range of broadcast systems and devices across the BBC and enables BBC News to be broadcast across your favourite TV, Radio and Digital platforms.
We love to hire people with a passion for learning and this is an exciting time and a fantastic opportunity to join our growing team as we build and implement this new IT system. The Engineering Support team for OpenMedia will deliver and then support the core production system used by BBC News.
As an IT support engineer some of your activities will include:
- Supporting Windows servers
- Troubleshooting, triage and resolution of OpenMedia Issues
- Routine Maintenance, patching and housekeeping
- Access Management
You will have exposure to, and training in, some of the following technologies:
- VMWare Hyper V
Please note this is a shift role, working a 6 week shift pattern, 24x7 365 days a year.
The Ideal Candidate
Recognizing the changing priorities that BBC News operations demands and adapting your approach to minimize disruptions to users. You will be responsible for:
- Delivering an excellent support service to our users, local and remote.
- Ensuring incidents and service requests are:
- Documented, prioritized, diagnosed and resolved in a professional manner and within the agreed timeframes.
- Building effective relationships with users, project team members, production teams, engineering teams across the BBC and with third party suppliers.
Youll be enthusiastic and have IT engineering support experience in either a live broadcast environment or a similar business critical deadline driven environment. Ideally you will have knowledge of digital production systems, although not essential as on the job training will be given. Experience of Hyper-V or virtualized environments would be an advantage
You will have excellent communication skills as well as the ability to organise and prioritize your workload under pressure. Youll have excellent problem solving and analytical skills with a keen eye for detail and work collaboratively within our team.
Even while working hard we have a great sense of humor and our energetic team invests heavily in coaching new hires. If you are interested in learning new technologies and want to be part of a new support team for one the largest systems that tell the worlds news stories, than please apply.
Various length Fixed Term contracts(ranging from 6, 12 & 22 months)
Location: New Broadcasting House, London
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 25days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title shortly after joining the BBC