BBC World Service is an international multimedia broadcaster, part of BBC News, delivering a wide range of language and regional services and working increasingly with other parts of BBC News to serve global audiences. It uses multiple platforms to reach its weekly audience of 320 million globally, including TV, digital platforms including social media, AM, FM, shortwave, digital satellite and cable channels.
Within the East Asia focused language services, the digital offer consists of websites, mobile sites and Social Media with all services provide multimedia content in text, video, interactive and audio for radio, online, mobile and social media platforms.
The output aims to make international news relevant to audiences in East Asia, and bring international perspectives to bear on East Asia and global developments.
All digital services share an ambitious outlook to attract more audience to our digital contents and strengthen outputs in the coming years so to respond to the changes in the market.
We are looking for a talented team based in Jakarta to showcase the best visual journalism from the BBC.
This role has close links to the Visual Journalism team, whose aim is to unlock the potential of multimedia storytelling across platforms - desktop, tablet, mobile and TV. Using graphical tools and combining those with an understanding of data and journalistic rigour, the team aims to produce powerful visual explanations that improve understanding of the news, and which audiences across the world highly appreciate.
An experienced digital journalist is needed to join the new Visual Journalism team for the East Asia hub, which will also be integrated with a designer and a developer.
You will be a proactive self-starter, brimming with original ideas on how to best apply interactive journalism.
You will be eager to find ways to compliment news stories, when appropriate, or to identify original stories that can be carried by all outlets. You will be able to delve beneath the headlines and then confidently and succinctly explain the fuller picture to our audience as well as other colleagues from BBC News.
You will be excited about developing the way that data is interpreted and presented online on platforms from mobile to TV.
You will be focussed on creating content that will engage our global audience, providing them with useful, and where possible, personalised information.
You will be working closely and productively with journalists, developers and designers - producing some of the most innovative content on the World Service Group websites.
You will also be working closely with planning editors and audiences’ teams across the World Service Group and News, to make the most of the content produced, encourage editorial best practice and the correct use of visual journalism tools.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
- To enhance and explain major news stories. To research, write, co-ordinate, manage and deliver to tight deadlines the production of high quality added value digital content including: information graphics, maps, graphical interactives, multimedia explainers, data journalism, data visualization and other bespoke-format web content.
- To generate ideas for data-driven stories and for how they might be developed and visualised for a variety of platforms.
- To collaborate with reporters, editors, and the fellow team's designer and developer to bring those stories to publication.
- To participate and contribute to the wider Visual Journalism Community, with the Central BBC News Visual Journalism team and the other VJ Languages teams.
- To make the most of data and visual journalism tools and workflows to create content of high editorial and technical standard.
- To be aware of relevant advances in web technology and how they can enhance the team’s output
- Support fellow (Region) Hub journalists to make the most of the available tools, to improve commissioning and workflows.
- To represent the East Asia Hub within the BBC Visual Journalism community.
- To work along a designer and a visual team with the aim to create straight-forward and creative infographics, as well as compelling forms of data visualization.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for this role will have experience in the following -
- Journalism experience –either online / radio / tv – ability to spot a story and make sound editorial judgements
- Ability to write in English as well as at least one of the key East Asia Hub’s languages well enough to write stories / backgrounders as required
- Be able to write /create content for social media – awareness of different platforms – and what is relevant for each region
- Numerate – ability to understand spreadsheets and create them in Excel and Google Drive for stories / data sharing
- Knowledge of data sources and FOI procedure, if relevant, as it pertains to your region
- A strong grasp of how to clean and query data
- A good understanding of statistics and statistical analysis
- Capacity to translate complex numbers and statistics into straight-forward infographics and images
- Be able to use basic design software (like Photoshop) to make composite images as well as create and update and create basic templates for static content for social media – whichever platforms are most relevant
- Good visual awareness and web production experience
- Experience of visualising data and using visualisation tools
- Demonstrable experience of working to tight deadlines
Location - Jakarta
Grade - Local terms & conditions apply
Contract - 2 year FTC
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.