Junior Infographics & UX Designer - Jakarta Service - BBC
BBC World Service is an international multimedia broadcaster, part of BBC News, delivering a wide range of language and regional services and working increasingly with other parts of BBC News to serve global audiences. It uses multiple platforms to reach its weekly audience of 320 million globally, including TV, digital platforms including social media, AM, FM, shortwave, digital satellite and cable channels.
Within the East Asia focused language services, the digital offer consists of websites, mobile sites and Social Media with all services providing multimedia content in text, video, interactive and audio for radio, online, mobile and social media platforms.
The output aims to make international news relevant to audiences in East Asia, and bring international perspectives to bear on East Asia and global developments.
All digital services share an ambitious outlook to attract more audience to our digital contents and strengthen outputs in the coming years so to respond to the changes in the market.
We are looking for a talented team based in Jakarta to showcase the best visual journalism from the BBC.
Your main responsibilities will be -
- Contribute design expertise to project teams made up of journalists, product managers and developers.
- Communicate conceptual ideas and design decisions to project teams.
- Collaborate with design colleagues to produce sketched concepts, user journeys, wireframes and navigational prototypes that reflect user needs.
- Provide designs across multiple screens for projects that deliver coherent user experiences.
- Ensure accurate data representation and accessible design solutions.
- Deliver maps, charts, information graphics and branding to support daily output.
- Develop the visual design and user experience and refine towards a polished design, taking into consideration typography, iconography, layout and brand identity.
- Prioritise your own workload under guidance of other designers.
- Deliver information graphics and user experiences that can be easily re-worked to accommodate multiple languages.
- Work closely with interactive journalists, visual artists and a visual team to provide compelling forms of data visualization and creative and straight-forward infographics
The Ideal Candidate
About you -
You’ve got a track record of outstanding Infographics and UX work across various different screens, be they mobile, connected TV, tablet or desktop. And you’ve got the portfolio to prove it.
You might tend towards data visualisation, information graphics and mapping, or layout, colour and typography. Either way you will have skills you can use to create the ideal user experience. Maybe you have even got something special up your sleeve, like you’re an amazing prototype builder, responsive design expert or 3D animator.
You will have a keen interest in news and current affairs, a firm grasp on how design can make a story comprehensible, compelling and relevant. You will also be able to pitch your work to people from all sorts of backgrounds.
You’re comfortable applying your skills to whatever situation arises, be it a new device or an unfamiliar design package. You’ve got a great degree in design or the equivalent on-the-job experience.
We like people who are:
- enthusiastic about what they do and a delight to work with;
- obsessive about accurate, timely delivery and being the first to break the latest news;
- motivated and full of ideas;
- serious about current affairs;
- geeky about information design and the latest developments in technology
- knowledgeable about fonts and typography
Grade - Local terms and conditions apply
Location - Jakarta
Contract - 2 year FTC
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.