Junior Software Engineer - News Labs (WS2020)
This is a chance for you to shape innovation at the heart of BBC news.
News Labs is a small team experimenting with new approaches to news and prototyping new toolsfrom exploring the potential of Virtual Reality to social media bots or tools helping journalists make cutting edge videos in multiple languages
We are looking for an imaginative, flexible full stack developer to help News Labsdiscover new ways in which we can power new tools for our journalists and fresh digital formats for our audiences.
Please visit our blog to see some of the projects we have been working on:
The main responsibilities are:
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications, supported by others in the team
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensuring code quality
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools, supported by others in the team
- Contribute to technical documentation
- Help to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have the following skills / experience:
- Competence in one or more mainstream development languages and frameworks
- Experience of one or more mainstream development and deployment tool chains (IDE, SCCS, CI)
- Experience of database use in software applications
- Knowledge of the web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
Location - London
Contract - Continuing
Grade - 6
The BBC is committed to redeploying employees seeking suitable alternative employment within the BBC for different reasons and they will be given priority consideration ahead of other applicants. Priority consideration means for those employees seeking redeployment their application will be considered alongside anyone else at risk of redundancy, prior to any individuals being considered who are not at risk.
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.