Junior Software Engineer
The Online Technology Group is responsible for building and operatingfoundation technologies that underpin online products from across theBBC, including iPlayer, and BBC News and Sport.
Our portfolio includes the BBC Internet Distribution Infrastructure(BIDI) - a content delivery netowrk at the heart of the BBC plans totransition media distribution from broadcast to IP - and an analyticsplatform so we can keep a keen quantitative eye on the effectivenessof this strategy.
We also own Cosmos - the BBC's pipeline for deploying to the Amazoncloud - as well as the on-premises platform from which our highesttraffic products are served.
We're looking for junior software engineers to join our team. We havea supportive engineering culture, and we are passionate about thenon-functionals.
OTG Engineering's teams are clustered around specific domains or groups of products. These include on-premises and public cloud platforms, media distribution and distribution analytics.
As a junior software engineer you will work closely with a Technical Product Manager and around six other engineers to design, build and operate software services and infrastructure in one of these areas.
Our method is agile/ lean with an emphasis on the principles underlying continuous improvement and delivery.
The Ideal Candidate
As a Software Engineer:
- You will have practical, hands-on experience coding inboth scripting and compiled languages, such as python and Java.
- You will be comfortable using build and deployment tools such as git and Jenkins.
- Development practices including testing, pairing and code reviewingwill be second nature to you.
- We value your ability to communicate and collaborate with other humans in a software engineering team.
We would like to hear about any experience you have of working in the following areas:
- build and deployment automation for on-premises and public cloud platforms
- working with large data sets and analytics technologies to generate insight and visualisations
- caching and serving digital media over HTTP/ HTTPS at scale
- building and operating high performance, high availability services at scale for on-premises or public cloud platforms
Permanent - Full Time
Location: Broadcast Centre, London, W12
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.