We have an exciting opportunity for an aspiring Lawyer to join the Business and Legal Affairs team here at BBC Worldwide. The role will support all technology, procurement and operations matters globally in BBC Worldwide, working closely with business leads and Business & Legal Affairs colleagues within divisions. This role is part of the BLA Corporate & Operations team, which spans not only technology and operations matters but also advises on BBCWs corporate and joint venture activity globally.
BBCW is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the British Broadcasting Corporation which operates in the UK and over 200 countries around the world. BBCW is self-funded and exists to exploit the value of the BBC's assets for the benefit of the licence fee payer and invest in public service programming in return for rights.
To support the BLA Corporate & Operations team's priorities and objectives by:
- Facilitating legal knowledge sharing across BLA globally on technology, procurement and content operations contracts and BBCW approvals processes for such contracts;
- Being guardians of best practice on all technology, procurement and content operations legal matters, developing precedents and providing training, as required;
- Providing support on complex technology and content operations projects, working closely with the overall transaction lead and other stakeholders to ensure effective negotiation and timely completion of the contracts required; and
- Providing advice generally in relation to, drafting and negotiating legal documentation for, technology and content operations projects and transactions, including all forms of technology and outsourcing arrangements and agreements associated with the global distribution and supply of programmes, channels and digital services.
Scope & Impact
This role supports key technology and operations matters for BBCW. The BLA Corporate & Operations team forms part of the BLA Group Legal team. It is a junior role within the BLA Group Legal team.
Success in the role will be measured by the extent to which technology, procurement and operations matters are completed in a timely and cost effective manner, meeting the priorities and objectives of the Business.
- Business & Legal Affairs, Corporate & Operations team
- Members of BBCW's Operations team
- Members of the BBC Design & Engineering teams
- Members of the Procurement and Finance teams
- Colleagues in Data Protection, Infosec and Content Security teams
The Ideal Candidate
Knowledge & Skills
- Commercial acumen
- Project management
- Complex problem solving
- Communication and presentation skills
- Collaborative team working
- The post holder must be a qualified commercial lawyer with a digital media and technology background. 3 years PQE is desirable, but not essential.
- Experience in technology arrangements, including software development and SaaS agreements, hardware supply arrangements, hosting and maintenance agreements, and technology licences, professional services agreements and outsourcing arrangements.
- Sound understanding of other aspects of the law relevant to technology, procurement and operations transactions, including intellectual property and data protection.
- Excellent understanding of English contract law
About the Company
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in; commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world, In 2015/16, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of 133.8M and headline sales of 1,029.4M and returned 222.2M to the BBC. Comprised predominantly of the non-English speaking world, our Global Markets business encompasses Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (CEMA), Asia and Latin America. Business activities range from TV sales and channel operation to production and intellectual property exploitation, Commerce.