Lead Data Engineer
This is a unique opportunity to join the newly created BBC Datalab. In this challenging leadership role you will be key to enabling the BBC create a better audience and colleague experience through the clever use of data. The Datalab will be a central capability that spans the whole BBC (TV, radio, news, web) and builds on existing data work across the organisation. It’s role being to tell a compelling story about the value of data and put in place the technology and capability that will allow other teams to move faster with data in the future.
In this exciting new role you will engineer technologies to solve data problems and develop innovative technical solutions. You will be responsible for using data as an effective proof of concept (POC) to bridge the gap between business expectation and reality. You will be responsible for engineering software platforms and data infrastructures at scale. As well as being responsible for growing and leading a team of Agile data specialist. Being the go to person for data enginnering you will be working on multiple initiatives at any given time being the technical lead driving user story analysis and elaboration. You will use your technology and business acumen to create strategies that use business analytics and data platforms building and designing next generation Data analytic frameworks developed on a group of core technologies.
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor's in computer science, computer engineering, or equivalent work experience
- Data engineering, data science, or software engineering experience
- Demonstrated experience leading teams of engineers
- Capability to architect highly scalable distributed systems, using different open source tools
- Demonstrated experience with agile or other rapid application development methods
- Understands how algorithms work and have experience building high-performance algorithms
- Extensive knowledge in different programming or scripting languages
- Expert knowledge of data modelling and understanding of different data structures and their benefits and limitations under particular use cases
- Experience using Big Data batch and streaming tools.
This is a rare opportunity to join the BBC in a brand new role! This is an opportunity to really make something your own. We have tones of data and historically, if we are honest, we have not been great at using it. So, imagine what you can do? Imagine the impact you could have, using your skills as a data guru to create amazing experiences for our audiences. We want people who have ideas, who have the ability to challenge the way things are done and we encourage innovation. You will be surrounded by thought leaders who will want to take your career and ideas to the next level and you will be key to taking us on the journey to being a data driven Digital First BBC.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.