Lead Project Manager (Delivery Manager) - Sport
As the Lead Project Manager for the BBC Sport and Live Events team within Design and Engineering, you will be part of a world class team, transforming the ways people enjoy sport and live event content online through ground-breaking technology.
The team are tasked with delivering a new digital vision for online sport content and for live coverage for the whole of the BBC across mobile, tablet, web and Connected TVs.
Having already delivered successful products for the Rio 2016 Olympics, World Cup, Commonwealth Games, Glastonbury, the 2015 General Election and EU referendum, the team transformed how audiences enjoyed a wide range of events over the last three years. This role will work to ensure the Sport and Live products continue to deliver these ambitions while making them more personalised and participatory.
The Sport team manage and develop products on websites, mobile devices and interactive TV. We have a world-leading approach to content management and metadata. The key challenge for the Lead Project Manager role within Sport is delivering quality and high levels of scope to the fixed dates of large sporting and national events. This is both challenging and massively rewarding.
The BBC Live team is responsible for delivering the vision highlighted in Director General Tony Hall’s strategy for the future of the BBC of a digital live events proposition that can be used for major sporting tournaments, music festivals, major news events and popular live TV shows.
- Deliver projects and programmes of work from initial shaping through to delivery to BAU, ensuring programme work streams are effectively managed, supporting the development of their products throughout their lifecycle
- Select appropriate project management methods for the task in hand
- Develop effective methods of managing prioritisation and scope
- Identify and control risks, managing issues as they occur
- Develop productive relationships with pan-BBC and external stakeholders, delivery partners, and suppliers
- Identify and manage key dependencies, working with dependency owners to schedule necessary work at appropriate times
- Clearly communicate performance, context and progress against plans and budget both in formal Portfolio reports, in meetings and presentations, and in ad hoc written communications
- Manage programme and project approval processes, including influencing key stakeholders and decision-makers
- Build high performing team of Technical Project Managers, and grow and mentor leadership skill within the team.
- Collaborate with Engineering Management in effecting optimised and predictable delivery
The Ideal Candidate
- A recognised project management qualification (e.g. PRINCE2, APMQ, MSP, Scrum Master)
- Extensive and demonstrable experience in leading and managing large complicated (multifaceted) projects.
- Demonstrable track record of successful project delivery (including leading teams, budgeting, planning, quality management, problem solving, reporting, managing risk).
- Expert knowledge of the project lifecycle, its products, techniques, appropriate methodologies and approaches (e.g. Agile, waterfall).
- Role model for good practice in all aspects of project management.
- Excellent and well-practiced communication (verbal, written, listening), inter-personal and influencing skills.
- Demonstrable experience in building successful teams, line managing and developing individuals.
- Confident in effectively communicating and reaching agreement with difficult stakeholders, navigating ambiguous, changeable, and complex environments to achieve desired outcomes.
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background