Purpose of the role
We are looking for a Management Accountant to join our group reporting finance team. You will provide financial and non-financial information and commercial and planning support to the finance team and business managers, to enable the business to make effective commercial decisions.
Reporting to the Financial Manager, the Management Accountant (‘MA’) will work closely with budget holders and their teams, as well as providing a link to other internal stakeholders
In conjunction with their manager, the MA ensures that effective reporting and controls are in place and managed in support of a diversified and rapidly growing business.
- Provides accurate analysis and interpretation of monthly results and commentary against budget and latest forecasts to review how the business is performing.
- Assists the team in preparing the monthly reporting pack, which includes commentary on revenues and costs vs. forecast/budget, headcount analysis, and other information as required.
- Assists the team in updating and improving management reporting on an ongoing basis and ensures that relevant financial and KPI information is made available to senior management for effective commercial decision-making
- Provides support to the FM and HoF on an ongoing basis, including support for ad hoc requests and specific projects, with increased support around budget, forecast and year end timetables
- Works with the FM to establish a strong financial control and reporting environment, continually looking to improve our processes and our reporting/support to the business
- Support the completion of the annual and quarterly planning process through the provision of supporting schedules and the timely maintenance of data within the SAP/BW financial system to comply with BBCW reporting and strategic requirements.
- Support manager by providing value added analysis and recommendations, in order to meet departmental and company objectives and support business decision making
- Develop strong working relationships with cost centre owners to build a robust understanding of relevant operations
Scope & Impact
BBC Worldwide’s Group Finance team manages all aspects of the consolidation and reporting of the Group’s results, both to the Board and externally. The team engages with regional finance teams across the Group to prepare the Group monthly management accounts, as well as the Group forecasts, budgets and five-year plans. They also set accounting policy and best practice procedures across the Group, provide technical advice to operational teams and assist in major non-routine transactions.
The team is also responsible for providing robust financial information in respect of Brands, Operations and centrally managed service activities across the BBC Worldwide Group, guiding cost centre owners in understanding and prioritising expenditure, to ensure the most effective and efficient use of funds. The team is also responsible for managing accounts payable, accounts receivable and credit control activities run from the UK head office and coordinating such activities globally.
Operates across multiple geographies, providing a key control and source of insight in support of a diversified and growing business
Receives direction and support from the FM, but works pro-actively and with minimal day-to-day supervision, co-ordinating inputs from multiple sources. The individual is required to provide accurate financial reporting and value-add commercial support
Reports to the Finance Manager; also has ad hoc face-to-face / phone / email contact with relevant business managers and teams and corporate/central finance teams to provide / receive / exchange information / instructions
The Ideal Candidate
Knowledge & Skills
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Strong analytical and planning skills
- Commercial acumen
- Adept with Excel / SAP / Business Warehouse
- Strong organisational and problem solving skills
- Ability to deliver quality output within tight deadlines
- Communication and presentation skills with impeccable attention to detail
- Ability to use initiative, anticipate issues and develop common sense, practical solutions to deliver high quality output at all times;
- Confident team player with strong influencing, facilitation
- Good accounting knowledge gained from a professional accounting qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent) or equivalent work experience
- Experience of preparing and reviewing financial analysis to a high standard within tight deadlines.
- Experience of financial reporting and forecasting within the media is an advantage
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel (including pivot tables). SAP and BW experience preferable.
About the Company
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in; commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world, In 2015/16, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £133.8M and headline sales of £1,029.4M and returned £222.2M to the BBC. Comprised predominantly of the non-English speaking world, our Global Markets business encompasses Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (CEMA), Asia and Latin America. Business activities range from TV sales and channel operation to production and intellectual property exploitation, Commerce.