Marketing Manager - BBC World Service
The World 2020 programme aims to increase the impact and reach of BBC World Service, spending £290 million pounds specifically allocated by the government over the next four years. The overall objective of the World Service Marketing team is to drive new audiences to World Service products and services which will contribute to the overall business objective of reaching 500 million people per week by 2022.
Marketing expertise and leadership is required to run paid media and digital content marketing campaigns to drive awareness of new services, trial of new digital content and brand equity among audiences.
We’re looking for an experienced Marketing Manager who is full of ideas and have a real passion for news. You will have enthusiasm for all things digital and fully understands the role Marketing plays across BBC journalism around the world.
Reporting to the Head of Marketing for the World Service, you will be responsible for managing and executing B2B and B2C Marketing activities to support Editorial and Business Development for the World Service, in their efforts to maintain/increase audience reach, brand awareness and engagement across TV, Radio, Online and Mobile content for a variety of language services.
You will drive external, market focused thinking into the department, especially across digital platforms, this being a key focus for the World Service in order to reach and engage new audiences. A catalyst for change by challenging existing knowledge of audiences, market dynamics, competitors as well as understanding how to demonstrate marketing performance beyond just reach. Most importantly, you will understand how to interpret post campaign metrics and be able to translate numbers into something meaningful for our stakeholders.
The Ideal Candidate
In addition to the skills, knowledge and experience stipulated in the job description, you will be:
- An extremely strong negotiator and influencer – must have the experience and confidence to challenge requests and influence/gain buy in from editorial sales teams and Partners where relevant
- An excellent brief writer – ability to understand commercial objectives and interpret these into strong and focused briefs. Understanding the difference between a campaign brief and a creative brief with experience using audience insight to create a compelling strategy
- Able to interpret data and recommend action on a variety of analyses
- Able to demonstrable experience of delivering successful digital marketing campaigns
As well as the above you will have
- A comprehensive understanding of web and marketing metrics and tracking mechanisms
- A solid understanding of digital marketing techniques - and in particular paid search, SEO, display, social and direct - and a keen interest in digital trends within the wider environment
Continuing Contract on Local terms & Conditions
Based in Nairobi, Kenya
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.