Network Bookings Operations Coordinator
Engineering Operations is part of BBC Engineering. As the broadcast technology partner for BBC programme teams, Engineering Operations is responsible for keeping multi-media output available 24/365. Broadcast Operations provides switching and monitoring of incoming and outgoing live and pre recorded material across a range of BBC output.
The Network Bookings team administer the purchasing and booking of temporary and permanent connectivity for the BBC.
Purpose of the role:
Working as part of a small Network Bookings team, to receive requests from, and provide advice to production staff concerning their programme requirements. This will involve the purchasing and booking of permanent and temporary connectivity in the most effective and economic way, co-ordinating all appropriate information so as to produce the daily bookings and switching schedule. This contains all bookings that require operational action by CCA/MCR staff.
To produce and collate statistics of resource usage and to prepare and process customer billing information.
The role will usually cover 7 days a week.
Bookings advice and support
- Receives requests over the telephone, by email or by business systems from Production staff concerning their current and future contribution studio and/or circuit booking requirements
- Interprets information from production staff and advises on appropriate facilities required
- Allocates MCR technical resources in such a way to avoid complications during both the set-up and subsequent use of such resources
- Provides advice and support to users and colleagues by continually updating his/her understanding of production workflows within the BBC
- Liaises with other BBC departments and external organisations through agreed processes and procedures to enable circuit booking requests and allocation to be processed in a timely manner
- Establishes arrangements for broadcast connections as necessary, to ensure that bookings are completed satisfactorily
- Takes personal responsibility for accuracy of work undertaken
- Maintains the accuracy of data to the agreed standard in key databases used, owned and/or managed by Technology Operations and shares bookings information with other areas within Technology Operations as required
Cost and income processing
- Maintains full and accurate data on Control Room facilities usage, collating and processing such data so as to enable cost recovery to be carried out, either through Service Level Agreements or by individual billing
- Ensures the correct and timely routing of cost and income related-data on behalf of the Operations Manager
The Ideal Candidate
- A good understanding of how technology that is used to connect to and deliver content between programme makers
- An awareness of the needs, motivations and aspirations of BBC programme departments and the ability to deal tactfully with Production, Operational and Engineering staff and members of the public
- Excellent customer care skills with the ability to identify a requestor’s requirements and to recognise whether these can be met effectively from the resources available and in the timescales requested
- Experience in managing conflicting demands in situations of pressure where priorities are rapidly changing
- Able to communicate confidently and clearly, both verbally and in writing, with people inside the BBC and external contacts.
- Ability to work on own initiative, without supervision, and as part of a team to achieve common goals
- Accuracy and a keen eye for detail
- An analytic mind and excellent organisational skills
- Demonstrable computer skills, experience of working within a Microsoft Windows environment and a proven ability to use a range of PC-based technical and financial applications
- A good understanding of the structure of the BBC
- Knowledge and passion for BBC output
This is a fixed term contract role with a proposed end date of 30/10/2018
The role holder will be contracted to work 35 hours a week and cover varying shifts 7 days a week
Applicants should note there no public transport to the location so driving will be the most convenient way to commute.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title shortly after joining the BBC. This re-alignment will not affect the terms and conditions of the appointment.