Principal Software Engineer - BBC Sport
BBC Sport is at the heart of the BBCs Online strategy. Our website is the UKs biggest and best-loved Sport site, drawing together world class journalism and live coverage of big events that bring the nation together. With around 25 million visitors a week the Sport website is key to the output of BBC Sport.
Our department is based in Quay House at MediaCityUK. We have around 60 people organised into four multidisciplinary agile teams containing software engineers, testers, designers, product owners and project managers. You will be working in a small team of highly motivated people focussed on delivering excellent features and experiences for our audience.
We pride ourselves on a leading approach to software development. We have a philosophy of continuous improvement and have a strong focus on engineering excellence. We are moving to a model based around continuous delivery.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity. We value and respect every individual's unique contribution to the BBC. We select candidates for our positions on the basis of merit.
Sport & Live Services (SLS) is the team that provides the APIs and services that power the Sport Website, the Sport Mobile app, BBC Live and numerous other components and services built by News, Knowledge & Learning and Weather.
We are looking for talented people like you to join us in maintaining and supporting our critical services and products. We want you to be a part of delivering the next generation of services and APIs to meet the future needs of the BBC.
Sport is a fun, sociable and dynamic place to work. As a member of our team you will work with us collaboratively on the following:
- Building excellently engineered, high availability solutions capable of handling huge volumes of traffic.
- Ensuring the quality of our work meets the high technical standards for BBC Online output.
- Planning features and projects using agile development practices.
- Working with our editorial and design colleagues on new application concepts and building prototypes.
- Developing tools and methodologies to improve our development process.
- Working closely with our operational support teams to ensure our solutions our supportable, scalable and reliable.
- Collaborating effectively with other teams and clients of our services to deliver the best possible audience experience.
- Seeking for opportunities to employ new technologies, design patterns and methods to enhance our products and services.
- Keeping abreast of developments in software engineering and technologies particularly related to mobile devices.
- Reviewing the work of your colleagues and helping others.
- Solving operational issues, including working under a Dev Ops model.
- Assisting with recruiting, mentoring and training new team members.
The Ideal Candidate
You will have experience of:
- Designing, developing and supporting large, complex production systems at scale.
- Creating and supporting reliable and scalable cloud based micro services on the cloud.
- Developing systems in Node.JS, including RESTful APIs.
- Starting new projects, including responsibility for the architecture and design.
- Growing existing systems to meet increased demands.
- Ability to rapidly acquire new skills and to work with new technologies.
- Solid software engineering/web development experience, with the ability to engage with others.
- Agile software development methodologiesincluding behaviour driven development and test driven development.
- Producing maintainable code within collaborative environments.
- Communicatingeffectivelywith both technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels in an organisation.
- Adopting a can do positive attitude, a willingness to learn and collaborating with colleagues.
You may have experience of some, but not necessarily all, of the following:
- Experience of building systems with Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Administering Linux servers, including web servers running Nginx.
- Relational and NoSQL databases such as schema design and scaling.
- Browser side debugging using appropriate tools such as Chrome DevTools, breakpoints, memory profiling and CPU profiling.
- Working with CSS, specifically object oriented CSS, BEM, responsive grids and media queries.
- Talking in industry forums, interest groups or broader industry engagement.
- Relationshipmanagement, including a track record of collaboration and influence.
- Leading teams in high-pressure environments.
- Coaching,mentoringand developing colleagues.
- Successfullyliaising with externalsuppliers.
- Excellent career progressionthe BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunitiesour in-house Academy hosts awide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital communitywe have a strong focus on continuous improvementand engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working weekfor work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relatingto them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.