Principal Software Engineer - News
BBC News is changing. We've been moving towards public Cloud infrastructure since 2012 and the next, largest phase is about to begin. And we recently announced a major expansion of the World Service, bringing our journalism to more people than ever around the world with 11 new language services.
Our mobile apps are used by millions. Our website often gets 50 million hits in a day. We’ve seen higher than 1.8 million concurrent users on our site and try to support every device we can, from simpler mobile phones to connected TVs. Our broadcast output is watched and listened to by people across the country and the world.
We make the BBC’s high quality journalism possible, and we actively look for new ways to reach people and to tell stories and communicate in new and effective ways.
The BBC News Web team delivers impartial news to readers all over the world, currently in 32 languages. We support a wide range of devices and care deeply about scale, performance, and accessibility. We work in agile, flexible teams, and have an exciting roadmap for future development.
Now is a great time to join us. We’re working towards personalised features for our global audience and using the worldwide capabilities of public Cloud providers to help us serve that audience exactly what they want quickly and efficiently. At the same time we’re expanding the World Service into 11 new countries and languages and so will be serving an even larger global audience.
We embrace emerging technologies and methods, and are currently building significant systems with Node.JS, Ruby, and PHP.
We’re looking for an experienced developer and investor in people. You’ll join and lead a small development group that is responsible for it’s products from end to end. You’ll work with your team and with others on common approaches, because we don’t want to reinvent the wheel each time. You’ll contribute to our technology strategy, helping us to deliver consistently and iterate quickly.
- Technical design for a range of Web projects
- Line management for a group of engineers
- Work across disciplines to build strong and scalable products for our audiences
- Champion best practice within your team and beyond
- Communicating technical needs with others in UX, Product and Project disciplines.
The Ideal Candidate
- Working as a senior software engineer with experience in the following technologies:
- At least two of PHP, HTTP, Sass, HTML, Ruby
- Experience with Cloud architecture and the core AWS technologies
- Experience line managing software engineers
- Writing good quality, maintainable code
- Good interpersonal skills and a cooperative approach to problem solving
- Collaborative working in multidisciplinary teams, with a focus on agile delivery
- Defining and developing high-volume, horizontally scalable web architectures
- HTTP, Caching, CDNs, TLS, core Internet protocols and technologies
- Performance engineering and management techniques
- Engaged in the wider Web engineering community
- A passion for News products
- Dev ops environments, and supporting applications out of hours
We are committed to healthy work-life balance, so flexible hours and remote working are possible.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.