Principal Software Engineer - News (WS2020)
The BBC News Web team delivers impartial news to readers all over the world, currently in 32 languages. We support a wide range of devices and care deeply about scale, performance, and accessibility. We work in agile, flexible teams, and have an exciting roadmap for future development.
We've been moving towards public Cloud infrastructure since 2012 and the next, largest phase is about to begin. And we recently announced a major expansion of the World Service, bringing our journalism to more people than ever around the world with 11 new language services.
Now is a great time to join us.
You will be responsible for -
- Line manage and recruit for a group of engineers based in multiple locations; London, Moscow, Lagos, Nairobi, Delhi and Jakarta
- Develop the strategy for deployment and quality control of front-end engineering in these teams
- Champion best practice within your team and beyond and pro-actively manage coding standards across the locations.
- Coordinate resources with other teams (UX, test, etc) for multiple concurrent projects.
- Define new architecture on the cloud and communicate this to the team and the wider organisation.
The Ideal Candidate
We’re looking for a senior developer with experience in leading teams working across multiple projects. You’ll join a development group that is responsible delivering Visual Journalism for the World Service and lead a team of developers based in multiple locations around the world. You’ll work with your team and with others to establish and develop common approaches, because we don’t want to reinvent the wheel each time. You’ll contribute to our technology strategy, helping us to deliver consistently and iterate quickly. You’ll play a central role in expanding what we deliver to our expanding World Service audience.
- Working as a senior software engineer with experience in the following technologies:
- Cloud architecture and the core AWS technologies
- Recruiting, managing and mentoring developers across more than one location
- Understanding of the complexities of delivering content in different languages (right to left and non-latin scripts)
- Demonstrable pro-active management of coding standards across a team.
- Good interpersonal skills and a cooperative approach to problem solving
- HTTP, Caching, CDNs, TLS, core Internet protocols and technologies
- Understanding of the different devices and audience needs in different international locations
- A passion for News products
- Dev ops environments, and supporting applications out of hours
We are committed to healthy work-life balance, so flexible hours and remote working are possible. For this role a flexible approach to working with teams in different time zones is essential. Additionally, you get access to the BBC Pension scheme, BBC Club and other perks.
Location - London
Grade - 9
Contract - Continuing Contract
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.