Producer - Fake or Fortune
Fake or Fortune, BBC One’s investigative art series, is in production on its seventh series.
We are seeking a Producer/Director with experience of long form narrative docs, a good instinct for storytelling on BBC1 and a proven ability to work with presenters.
A good understanding of legal, copyright and editorial policy issues is vital and the role may require careful negotiation with artist’s estates.
It would be the responsibility of the successful candidate to develop, produce and deliver a single episode of Fake or Fortune.
BBC Studios’ Unscripted Productions bases are in London, Bristol, Cardiff and Northern Ireland. It’s home to many of the BBC’s most popular brands such as Countryfile, Gardeners’ World, Crimewatch, Wanted Down Under, Flog It, and Bargain Hunt, as well as food series featuring much-loved presenters like The Hairy Bikers and Nigella.
- Developing a story based around one or more works of art and the quest to find out the truth about it.
- Scripting and directing sequences in the UK and abroad, most likely focused on archival research, scientific testing and art conservation practice.
- Casting experts and contributors and directing them during filming.
- Creating filming schedules and budgets in close liaison with members of the Production Management team. Communicating efficiently with the PM team to ensure all filming and post-production logistics and requirements are managed efficiently.
- Ensuring the Health and Safety of everyone involved in a shoot.
- Preparing efficiently for edits and editing creatively and efficiently in the available time and within the allotted budget.
- Overseeing post-production where possible.
- Preparing billings and compliance documents prior to delivery of film.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of producing visually dynamic, hour long docs for a primetime audience (BBC1 or 2)
- Creative and highly imaginative with original ideas, and a robust knowledge of the art world, and copyright implications.
- Experience of managing budgets, delivering programmes on time and to budget.
- Strong editorial judgement.
- Experience of managing high-end talent.
- Experience of handling confidential and/or controversial information with tact and sensitivity.
- Knowledge of legal and copyright issues in arts and broadcast media and BBC editorial policy and compliance.
Job Title: Producer - Fake or Fortune
Department: Unscripted Bristol
Start Date: 22/1/18 - 1/6/18 (tbc subject to greenlight)
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Therefore, successful applicants may need to be realigned to a slightly different job title shortly after joining the BBC.