Project Manager - iPlayer Responsive Web
To collaborate with a business or product owner to deliver a project, or many projects; deliver expected outcomes and meet stakeholder expectations within the brief and constraints of time, cost, scope and quality; and to use appropriate approaches and techniques for the project and domain.
At the BBC, project management applies in different domains e.g. IT, digital, construction, business process, broadcast engineering. Projects may stand alone, or be part of a programme, and/or a product lifecycle.
Note: appendix may include further responsibilities or experience necessary for the particular role.
Manage one or more projects or a sequence of projects or lead a workstream within a programme.
Responsible for project delivery and selecting suitable frameworks and techniques (e.g. iterative and incremental, or sequential).
Typical indicators at this level are:
- A repeatable project approach, delivering a specific capability, outcome or target;
- A project or series of projects approx. 6-18 months in duration;
- Financial or staff to a budget of <£2m, and a staffing level of 6+ (including third parties).
Approach and planning
- Work with ‘business or product owner’ and stakeholders to agree the project objectives.
- Agree with the ‘owner’ the options and appropriate approach for delivery.
- Ensure shared clarity of scope, good estimating, solution development and management of risk.
- Produce and manage day-to-day progress against a detailed plan (e.g. Project Management Plan) and schedule/roadmap.
- Make effective use of lessons learnt to deliver efficiently.
- Mobilise a project team and establish the organisation structure
- Plan timely reviews / retrospectives and put in place the lessons.
- Manage the project within agreed scope, time, cost and quality constraints.
- Identify, track and manage progress, risks, issues, assumptions, dependencies, interdependencies and changes.
- Make effective use of reporting, communication and escalation (when outside agreed constraints).
- Manage people (including third parties) and other resources.
- Ensure all expenditure (or activity) is accounted for and reconciled to budget/plan. Provide forecast to complete or value returned to inform decision making.
- Ensure adherence to relevant BBC policies and standards. Including project management, health and safety, financial, legal, technology and other compliance requirements.
Approvals, Governance and Benefits
- Contribute to and produce the relevant documentation (e.g. Business Case, PMP) to secure investment (if required) or resource allocation.
- Conduct timely oversight forums (e.g. project board, product direction group). Provide management information to senior stakeholders, and other relevant governance forums.
- Where required, put in place benefits realisation plan, and transition to responsible business owners.
Stakeholders, Change, and Communication
- Work with stakeholders to agree scope, critical success factors, deliverables, outcomes and benefits. Ensure understanding of the impact of any trade-offs and decisions by relevant stakeholders.
- Plan and manage stakeholder communication to achieve engagement.
- Build collaborative relationships with stakeholders, fostering innovation, effective working and address issues.
- Plan and complete change management activities (e.g. training, communications) to ensure business adoption.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience managing projects/workstreams to successful outcomes.
- Experience in leading teams, problem solving, progress monitoring, managing risk and budget or resource.
- Working knowledge of the project lifecycle including selection of appropriate methodologies and techniques for delivery.
- Understanding of the drivers of success and sources of risk for the project domain.
- Self-starting with ability to empower teams and colleagues to focus on achieving goals.
- Excellent communication (verbal, written, listening), social and influencing skills. Ability to bridge domain specialism and business through user-friendly language.
- Able to manage difficult stakeholders and deliver in ambiguous, fast-changing and complex environments.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation and procedures for the domain. For example: procurement, contract management, environment, and health and safety.
- Demonstrable professional development with a recognised project management qualification or equal experience (e.g. PRINCE2, APMP, Agile certification).
- Microsoft Office software skills and experience using data to make it meaningful for different audiences.
- Experience of project management and collaboration tools (e.g. MS project, JIRA, Register)
- Excels at delivery in a fast-changing, diverse and complicated environment.
- Understands organisational transformation challenges and how to operate in this context.
- Has managed at least three projects with a budget of c£50k+ and staffing of three or more people.
- Knowledge of the BBC and/or media sector.
- Understanding of traditional and new technologies used in broadcast or digital media environments.
G8 (proposed band D)
Continuing / Perm
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.