Research & Development Engineer (Companion Screen)
Interested in shaping the way viewers watch BBC programmes in the future?
We're looking for an outstanding research & development engineer to join our companion screen team at BBC R&D.Â You'll work on new and exciting ways for viewers to use the latest consumer technology to access BBC programmes and will be setting the technical standards for devices of the future.
Together, we'll enable a world where BBC services on mobiles, tablets, desktops and TVs can work seamlessly together enabling rich interactive experiences that are simple to use.
Based in research labs in the North and South of the UK, BBC Research & Development is made up of around 200 highly specialist research engineers, scientists, ethnographers, designers and producers, working on every aspect of the broadcast chain, from Audiences, Production and Distribution right through to the Programmes themselves.
As an R&D Engineer you will be responsible for research & development projects; either small projects that stand alone, or parts of larger projects where youâll work to a Senior Technologist or Project Manager. These projects may deliver hardware or software systems, technical standards, or research knowledge. You will also be required to provide technical advice and consultancy within your own field of expertise.
The Ideal Candidate
Itâs essential you have:
- a degree (or equivalent) in the fields of science, engineering or computing
- an ability to identify and resolve important problems and research questions in cutting-edge technology; using inventiveness, creativity and technical development work of the highest quality
- experience of developing applications for smartphones, tablets or televisions, or of designing or implementing web service APIs
- demonstrable interest in connected home or companion screen technologies
A big plus would be:
- at least two yearsâ experience in roles that include software development, preferably in a research and development environment
- experience developing software with connected home or companion screen applications
- experience with HTML5, web communication protocols and RESTful web services
- experience working with MPEG Transport Streams, DSM-CC Object Carousels, MHEG-5, HbbTV, DVB-GEM or other digital TV technologies
Please upload your original CV when applying and a response to the following:
Please describe a technology project where you researched and developed an innovative solution in order to help the project succeed.Â Detail your role in the project, the actions you took and how the solution achieved the desired outcome.Â Where applicable, please describe the actions you took to mitigate any risks and ensure timely delivery of the project.