Come join BBC Worldwide as our new Royalties Analyst on a fixed term contract basis.
The Business & Legal Affairs team are looking for a Royalties Analyst to join the team on a Fixed Term Contract Basis.
The successful candidate will interpret rights clearance information to determine the type of royalties due on BBCW’s exploitation of TV programmes and DVD and Digital releases, ensuring the terms are reflected on BBCW’s royalty system, CASPAR.
They will validate monthly royalty accruals and statements and resolve queries received from Contributors, Agents and other rights holders.
You will be accountable for:
- Interpret rights clearance information received from various sources to determine the type of royalties payable on Audio, TV, DVD and Digital exploitation, ensuring the terms are reflected on the royalty system, CASPAR
- Assist in the validation of contracts set up on the royalty system .
- Assist with the validation of monthly royalty accruals and royalty statements.
- Review the payment system, Acon, for any errors ensuring they are cleared enabling payments to be remitted in a timely manner.
- Assist with the validation of monthly advance payments
- Maintain a log of contracts which need to be expired and action the expiry process ensuring that any outstanding balances are transferred to new contracts and the impact on the monthly accrual figures is as expected.
- Resolve queries received from the Talent community in a timely manner and in line with agreed standards.
- Supporting the Contract Entry Executive and team with other tasks as directed.
Scope and Impact
- Works independently, with guidance in only the most complex situations, to update the royalty database so that accurate payments are made in rights holders in a timely manner and royalty costs are correctly reflected in the financial accounts.
- The team manage a database of c250k contracts and remit c£40m in payments.
- Works independently to validate royalty accruals for new products added to the system prior to review by the Royalty Executive.
- Works independently with minimal guidance to ensure that set targets are regularly met or exceeded.
- Works independently with minimal guidance to ensure that all enquiries are dealt with in a timely and professional manner. Builds and maintains good relationships with all customers and upholds the reputation of both the department and BBC Worldwide.
Strategic Planning & Decision Making
- Prioritises product workload using agreed criteria such as age and sales value to ensure targets are regularly met or exceeded.
- Prioritises query workload based on age and other factors as guided by the Query Executive deciding on the most appropriate communication format.
- Communicate with the BBC Content Rights Department either by e-mail or phone for clarification of any rights issues.
- On a daily basis collaborate with the team to ensure complete and accurate contract entry on the royalty system.
- Liaise regularly with representatives of IBM, BBCW’s payment provider, to obtain payment information required to resolve issues.
- Promote Talent Accounting as the primary point of contact for all queries. It is critical to the reputation of the company that customers receive the highest level of service.
The Ideal Candidate
- Excellent attention to detail including ensuring written work is accurate and presented appropriately to represent BBC Worldwide
- Ability to work to deadlines and cope with periodic increases in workload
- To be well-organised and methodical in your approach to your work
- Excellent administrative, interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to express oneself confidently and concisely both orally and in writing
- Ability to confidently use a range of software packages, including Microsoft Office - Word, Advanced Excel, and Access
- Industry, and specifically royalty, experience desirable
- Advanced Excel skills desirable
About the Company
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in; commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world, In 2015/16, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £133.8M and headline sales of £1,029.4M and returned £222.2M to the BBC. Comprised predominantly of the non-English speaking world, our Global Markets business encompasses Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (CEMA), Asia and Latin America. Business activities range from TV sales and channel operation to production and intellectual property exploitation, Commerce.