Runner, The Science Unit
BBC STUDIOS THE SCIENCE UNIT, LONDON
BBC Studios, TheScience Unit makes a wide range of output from Horizon, Stargazing, Trust Me Im a Doctor, to our Landmarks series such as Human Body, Forces of Nature and Wonders of the Universe with Brian Cox.
We are looking for a Science Runner who has a demonstrable interest in science to work across its output and to provide effective support as a Runner either in a busy office or production capacity.
- To support the production team in the office, on location, and in the studio.
- To undertake general office duties including collecting tapes, drives and kit, logging material, photocopying, responding to correspondence, and filing.
- To pick up/drop off items to local post production houses.
- To share responsibility with others for ensuring that BBC Health & Safety policies are observed, e.g. ensuring kit is stored properly in the office and on location.
- To provide admin support to the production team and to provide logistical assistance on location, in the studio or during post-production as required. Duties will vary depending on the nature of the output and will include: helping the Researchers on research projects; contributing to the development of ideas; and contributing fully at team and programme meetings.
- To contribute to the safe, smooth and efficient running of the production office, referring any actual or potential problems to the Production Management Assistant, Production Co-ordinator, Production Manager, Production Executive or other production team members as appropriate
The Ideal Candidate
- Ability to use proficiently, a range of software packages including Word, Excel, and Outlook. (FCP/Avid/Adobe Premiere would be preferential).
- Interpersonal and communication skills sufficient to establish and maintain effective working relations with a wide range of internal and external contacts including crew and artists. Ability to express oneself concisely both orally and in writing.
- Excellent telephone skills and the ability to manage editorial, management and other contacts with tact and sensitivity.
- Experience of independently drafting a range of documents including e-mails and letters.
- Effective time management and organisational skills and the initiative to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to prioritise a conflicting workload efficiently and to maintain standards of accuracy and attention to detail when working to deadlines or changing priorities.
- A flexible approach to changing priorities and requirements.
- A demonstrable aptitude for detail and accuracy in all areas.
- Resilience and stamina to sustain performance when under pressure from a high volume of work and conflicting priorities.
- Ability to use own initiative with confidence, using judgement to refer up where necessary.
- An informed interest in the BBC, TV production and programmes.
- A keen interest in science programming
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title when appointed.