Senior Data Engineer
This is a unique opportunity to join the newly created BBC Datalab. In this challenging leadership role you will be key to enabling the BBC create a better audience and colleague experience through the clever use of data. The Datalab will be a central capability that spans the whole BBC (TV, radio, news, web) and builds on existing data work across the organisation. It’s role being to tell a compelling story about the value of data and put in place the technology and capability that will allow other teams to move faster with data in the future.
In this newly formed role you will be accountable for successfully delivering our data engineering capability delivering capabilities, services and solutions based on our data blueprint. You will support various data and batch/realtime analytical solutions leveraging transformational technologies. And will be working on multiple initiatives as a technical team member (or lead) driving user story analysis and elaboration, design and development of software applications, testing, and building automation tools. You will translate business requirements into system requirements and participate in creating strategies that use machine learning and data platforms. Working with the broader Design and Engineering team to design and implement data solutions in alignment with the project schedule. On a daily basis you will be building data algorithms, coding and testing documents and modified data systems to create robust and scalable applications for data. You will work with developers to make sure that all data solutions are consistent and will be key to expanding and growing our data platform capabilities
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience
- Data engineering, data science experience or software engineering
- Experience with agile or other rapid application development methods
- Experience with coding and testing patterns as well as experience in engineering (commercial or open source) software platforms and large-scale data infrastructures
- Experience of operationalising machine learning algorithms,
- Understands how algorithms work and have experience building algorithms
- Significant knowledge of data modelling and understanding of different data structures and their benefits and limitations under particular use cases
- Strong experience working hands-on with big data systems and experience with monitoring, backup, and disaster recovery of data systems
- Strong knowledge in different programming or scripting languages.
This is a rare opportunity to join the BBC in a brand new role! This is an opportunity to really make something your own. We have tones of data and historically, if we are honest, we have not been great at using it. So, imagine what you can do? Imagine the impact you could have, using your skills as a data guru to create amazing experiences for our audiences. We want people who have ideas, who have the ability to challenge the way things are done and we encourage innovation. You will be surrounded by thought leaders who will want to take your career and ideas to the next level and you will be key to taking us on the journey to being a data driven Digital First BBC.
2 Years Fixed Term Contract
Grade 9 (proposed band D)
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.