Senior Data Manager
The BBC aims to stimulate and delight audiences across the UK with distinctive,creativecontent. To support this aim, BBC is entering a new charter period of significant and exciting change, developing new capabilities in order to definea BBC fit forthe next generation.
OUR MISSION: To inform, educate and entertain all audiences, to deliver our public purposes
OUR AIM: To reinvent the BBC for a new generation
Well do this through... OUR AMBITIONS: Making sure everyone gets value from the BBC, world-class creativity, global reach, financial stability and making the BBC an even greater place to work.
BBC is embarking on an ambitious and exciting Data Strategy that will enable the reinvention of the BBC and digital transformation. Data will play an important role in the future and it is recognised that we need to invest in building a data capability within BBC that takes a strategic and pan-BBC approach in managing data as asset and deriving more value and opportunities in the future.
Individuals within the Data Manager role are responsible for the performance, integrity and security of the datawarehouse and databases within the Audience Platform. They will also be involved in the planning and development of the database, as well as troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users. The role makes sure that data remains consistent across the database, is clearly defined, can be accessed concurrently by users, in a form that suits their needs and there is provision for data security and recovery control, where all data is retrievable in an emergency.
As a Senior Data Manager you will work as part of a multi-disciplinary team to ensure that the BBCs data management, analytics and data science services are implemented and matured in the area that you support to transform business capabilities and enable the next generation of Broadcast andDigital services.
You will be a subject matter expert in your field with specialist domain expertise in at least one technology, software, infrastructure, application, digital or broadcast and production domain. You will provide knowledge and guidance to multiple stakeholders. You will have an appreciation of how the complete range of data management, analytics and science specialisms impact your area and you will use this knowledge to ensure you deliver data-driven change, improve decision making and creative reuse of assets across the area that you support.
- Proven experience of managing data warehouses and databases
- Experience of data warehousing in the cloud, such as AWS infrastructure.
- Experience in database technologies, such as Redshift, MySQL, MongoDB, covering both OLAP and OLTP databases.
- Excellent knowledge of using data management technologies and engineering practices to develop data models suitable for analytical and transactional need.
- Experience of using quality driven approaches to manage data integrity and performance.
- Strong experience working hands-on with big data systems and experience with monitoring, backup, and disaster recovery of data systems.
Good knowledge in different data programming or structured querying language.
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, information technology other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience
- Typically requires 3-5 years of data/database administration, data management, or data engineering experience.
- Experience with agile or other rapid application development methods
- Experience in engineering (commercial or open source) software platforms and large-scale data infrastructures.
- Significant knowledge of data modeling, database design and understanding of different data structures and their benefits and limitations under particular use cases
- Experience of working collaboratively across a diverse set of stakeholders
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Contributingto the developmentof area of specialism or industry domain
- Broadcast, production, start-up or media experience
- A mix of public sector and commercial experience
- Participation in published documents within your area of specialism
Successful academic background in your specialist discipline