Senior Digital Analyst
In January 2017 the BBCs Director-General Tony Hall set a challenge to reinvent the BBC iPlayer and assure its position as the number one online TV service in the UK in 2020. In the process of transforming TV, teams in BBC iPlayer use insights, analysis and measurement as part of a data-driven approach to forming strategy and making decisions.
The BBC iPlayer portfolio incorporates PC, tablet, mobile and TV platforms. This role will sit within the TV & iPlayer Product Management team and operate across all three platforms. In addition to expertise in analysis and insights, we require a Senior Digital Analyst with experience of how data can inform product strategy.
The BBC is constantly evolving its approach to both data analysis and product development. In consequence, the Senior Digital Analyst should have in-depth experience of third-party analytics tools, relational databases, data visualisation and ABn testing / MVT processes. The role also requires working with multiple teams both - in TV & iPlayer and across the BBC.
UNDERSTANDING AND DRIVING KPIs
- Work with product management to set and report on KPIs for existing feature areas and new features.
- Advise iPlayer teams on improvements to new features based on data analysis and testing.
- Build a deep understanding of iPlayer as a product and integrate data into the product lifecycle.
- Communicate data through everyday work and in depth presentations to iPlayer teams.
ANALYSIS AND INSIGHT:
- Think critically, initiating and completing in-depth data investigations and providing teams with recommendations.
- Support, enable and educate users across iPlayer in day-to-day reporting of analytics and optimisation data.
- Conduct statistical analysis using packages such as R and Python.
TAGGING AND DOCUMENTATION:
- Advise product teams on tagging for new features based on KPIs.
- Align tagging across iPlayer and suggest improvements around best practices.
- Ensure all new labels are documented carefully and available to teams.
LEAD ON TOOLS:
- Provide expert advice on how to use analytics tools (eg Digital Analytix, Adobe Analytics), relational databases (using SQL), visualisation (eg Tableau) and optimisation tools (eg Optimizely).
- Solicit input from product management on improvements to reporting (and change these iteratively)
- Work with the iPlayer and central Digital Analytics teams to provide feedback on improving tools.
The Ideal Candidate
- Expertise with digital analytics tools (e.g. Digital Analytix, Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics) from a reporting and/or implementation perspective.
- Working knowledge of data analysis using relational databases (ie writing queries in SQL) and visualisation (eg Tableau).
- Strong understanding and experience of analysing data to impact product decisions.
- Demonstrable understanding of the BBC iPlayer product offering.
- Good statistical analysis skills (eg knowledge of statistical modelling techniques, significance tests)
- Experience in communicating concepts and data insights, including oral and written presentations, and easy-to-read analysis.
- Knowledge of ABn testing / MVT methodologies and platforms.
- Strong understanding of relevant technologies (eg new media technologies) and competitive landscape for BBC iPlayer.
- Good understanding of processes and practices used by a digital product team.
- Ability to work closely and build strong relationships with stakeholders and colleagues from different departments as part of a virtual team.
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.