Senior Distribution & Business Development Manager
We need an exceptional and experienced business development expert to join our team and play a leading role in the evolution of BBC services across digital platforms. This role sits within the Digital Partners team of Distribution & Business Development and is a key and senior role within the department.
The Digital Partners team works closely with third party companies in the digital and technology industries. The team is responsible for building relationships and collaborating with digital partners, ranging from global giants such as Apple, Google, Facebook and Amazon to new start-ups, digital production companies and digital agencies. We work with both external partners (digital and technology companies) as well as internal areas of the BBC (editorial divisions, strategy, exec teams, commercial subsidiaries and technical leads).
The team’s key areas of focus are:
- Distribution: Enabling the distribution of the BBC’s content and services on new and emerging digital platforms and services (e.g. YouTube, Facebook, smartphones, tablets, virtual reality etc) and bringing the BBC’s new digital services to market.
- Innovation: Bringing third party innovation into the organisation to help the BBC improve its digital content, products and services and experiment with new technologies to create new audience experiences.
- Negotiation: Negotiating deals and establishing framework agreements with digital partners (e.g. deals to trial new forms of distribution and new types of technology).
- Strategy: Developing strategies regarding how the BBC should engage with digital partners and using our market knowledge to help develop wider BBC strategies.
- Act as the team’s key point of contact for internal clients (e.g. BBC Music, other cultural / arts partnership teams, BBC News etc).
- Be one of the BBC’s key points of contact and market experts for key players and partners in a range of fields (e.g. digital music, audio, digital news and in-car).
- Represent the team to a range of internal and external partners at a senior level. Develop personal domain expertise and a reputation within the BBC and externally, participating in appropriate external forums and industry organisations. Build and maintain positive relationships between Distribution & Business Development and other BBC departments, acting as a source of authoritative domain knowledge and working closely with them to enable the development of BBC services.
- Come up with and deliver new ideas for ways in which the Digital Partners team can help colleagues, external partners and work with third-party digital / technology companies to deliver new audience experiences.
- Provide briefings for senior managers orally and in writing and input into board papers for groups such as Executive Board.
The Ideal Candidate
- A passion for and detailed knowledge of how new digital technologies can be /are being used to enhance and create new audience experiences; ideally a detailed knowledge of and experience working with the digital music industry / cultural and arts organisations / news organisations. Extensive domain experience and track record of achievement at the intersection of the media and technology industries. Excellent understanding of the content delivery landscape (broadcasting and IP) and the BBC’s position in it, and the strategic importance of the distribution business.
- Good influencing and diplomatic skills, able to build trusting, productive long term relationships with senior level contacts inside and outside the organisation. A proven track record of successfully working with all levels and departments of organisations (ranging from CEO / board level to developers and legal colleagues).
- Significant experience in contract negotiation, leading a deal process, structuring and closing complex digital / technology partnership deals. Excellent and adaptable persuasion and negotiation skills.
- Extensive experience presenting business cases and propositions to senior executives and a proven ability of developing and delivering strategies. Experience of influencing strategy at a senior level.
- Experience of working collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams across organisational boundaries, managing diverse stakeholder interests; able to work on own initiative, under pressure and to tight deadlines, with a creative approach to problem solving – capable of getting difficult projects and tasks done.
Grade 10 (Proposed Band E)
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.