Senior Engineer (Platform Engineering)
The BBC is adopting public cloud as a general purpose platform for developing online products, but some applications require the efficiency, transparency and control you can only get with on-premises infrastructure.
We are looking for experienced engineers who understand the software and system considerations necessary to design, build and operate the on-premises platform behind the high traffic, high availability products that make up bbc.co.uk.
Join a focussed group of engineers working on the software technology underpinning the BBC's Design and Engineering division. We are a motivated team with a supportive engineering culture, passionate about the non-functionals.
The Online Technology Group's Engineering team works across on-premises and public cloud platforms, and we are clustered around specific domains or groups of products.
You'll work alongside approximately five other engineers and partner with an engineering manager to define direction and technical approach.
Our method is agile/lean with an emphasis on the principles underlying continuous improvement and delivery.
The Ideal Candidate
We would like to hear about your experience of:
- taking a senior role in a software engineering team, guiding at least one complex project from design through to operation
- contributing production code in both compiled and scripting languages such as Java and python
- working with development and deployment tools including git, Jenkins
- following development practises such as functional and non-functional testing, pairing and code reviewing
We are also interested if you have experience of:
- working at scale with high levels of web traffic and load, and large data sets
- building, configuring and upgrading third-party, bespoke and open source software
- automation, repeatability, testing, documentation and definitions of done
Permanent - Full Time
Location: London W12
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.