Senior Mobile Software Engineer
The BBC Mobile Platform is an integral part of the BBC's Digital strategy, delivering consistent user experiences and core functionality across the BBC's mobile estate.
Our team is responsible for enabling BBC app teams to create compelling personalised services and content that the public love. We deliver core audience facing functionality such as media playback into core BBC entertainment apps such as BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport and BBC News. We also support our educational apps, such as BBC Bitesize.
With emphasis on world class engineering practices, we encourage, cultivate and strive for improvement, not only at a team level, but also at a personal level. We continue to improve our understanding of TDD on mobile whilst embracing platform idioms.
Our department is based in Dock House at MediaCityUK, the same building that broadcasts 6 Music. The team is modestly sized and is composed of software engineers, testers, product owners and project managers. You will have an opportunity to work with everyone to help deliver well-engineered components.
We are looking for an engineer who is excited by, and keen to pursue a career working with mobile software components.
You will contribute to the development of core components used by all applications in the BBC covering authentication, personalisation, media playback and content protection.
You care about quality code, love collaboration, experimentation and are a confident communicator.
You will be interested in mastering your test driven development approach to produce systems isolated from framework dependencies.
To be successful in this role you will be committed to self motivated development.
The Ideal Candidate
- A good understanding of OOP, analysis and decoupled design.
- Demonstrable Test Driven Development
- A track record of producing maintainable code within collaborative environments
- Experience of master only Git
- Ability to rapidly acquire new software skills and to work with new technologies
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Real world iOS or Android experience
- Real world experience in a second mobile development platform
- Deep understanding of iOS or Android app architecture and design idioms
- Web services integration (REST, JSON) in a mobile environment
- Experience with Agile/Scrum project management methodologies
- Linux administration, shell scripting
- Amazon Web Services
- Jenkins Pipelines
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.