Senior Product Manager
TheBBC Platform Audienceprovides a suite of products and services which is enabling the BBC to transform into a personalised, data-driven organisation. We exist to help users find more of the content they love by understanding more of what they do. We do this by delivering a cloud based API suite of personalisation and participation services that fuel our big data solutions. We help over 10 million signed in users access their account and find content through recommendations and notifications, and our data systems process billions of transactions a day. We work collaboratively with teams across the BBC including iPlayer, News, Sport, Radio and Weather.Our tech stack is largely Java, Node.js and AWS.
This role is in the BBC account team. The account team provides a highly scalable and secure identity management service, as well the BBC account space where users can manage all their data.
The team is cross functional and includes front end developers, back end developers, testers, UX designers, project managers and product people. The team works with a mixture of scrum and kanban, and is always seeking to improve how it works.
Every day, the account team solve hard security, performance, data and user experience problems. As the account is the backbone of the BBCs personalisation objectives, our roadmap is ambitious and varied. For example, in the past quarter we have:
- Scaled our service to acquire over 7 million users in just two months
- Designed and validated a new childrens registration and account management experience, so that even the youngest children can have a BBC account
- Launched a best-in-class TV sign in experience, enabling a personalised BBC TV experience for the first time
In the next 6-12 months, we will be:
- Growing to support 20+ million users
- Re-launching the BBC account product as a rich destination for users to manage their data, and the BBC to fulfil its General Data Protection Regulation obligations
- Supporting hundreds of thousands of users to sign in to vote on Strictly Come Dancing
- Enabling the BBC to offer a federated sign in solution for any 3rd party website
WHAT Youll Be Doing:
You will be a critical player in enabling the account team to build and deliver this very ambitious roadmap. You will become (or perhaps you already are) an expert in building identity management and data solutions which meet challenging non-functional requirements whilst also delighting users.
You will work collaboratively with the account team and our stakeholders to build a high level roadmap which makes difficult trade-offs. This will involve conducting or organising research, facilitating workshops with the team and its stakeholders and presenting your plans to senior management. You will then work closely with Project Management to help plan the work, and youll then work with the delivery team every day to ensure the right product gets built.
The account team has over 40 stakeholders around the BBC including iPlayer, News and Radio - so you will be managing a number of stakeholder relationships. You will have to build relationships with them based on trust, expertise and confidence, and you will be comfortable reconciling the competing demands of your varied stakeholders.
The Ideal Candidate
WHAT youll need:
- Youll be an experienced Product owner who has a proven track record working in an agile technical environment
- Experience with an identity management or data system an advantage
- UX / Research experience building successful user proposition
- Proven track record writing user stories and managing a backlog
- Extremely strong stakeholder management skills
- Proven ability to learn and deliver quickly(experience working in a fast paced start-up or agency would help)
WHY youll want it:
This is an exciting opportunity to work in a fast paced team which is at the forefront of the BBCs personalisation revolution. You will get the opportunity to solve some of the BBCs hardest and most important non-functional challenges, while at the same time building a brand new BBC product from the ground up a rare opportunity. Whats more, as the account services are used by so many teams around the business, this is a great opportunity to get exposure to the wider BBC online portfolio.
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.