BBC News Web Engineering delivers trusted news to hundreds of millions of readers all over the world in 40 languages. In some parts of the world we are the only unbiased news service. We support a wide range of devices and care deeply about scale, performance, and accessibility. We work in agile, flexible teams, and have an exciting roadmap for future development.
Given the trust placed in BBC News, we work carefully and responsibly to deliver the best possible news service for the web.
We're looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Reach and Languages team, based in New Broadcasting House in London W1.
Reach and Languages focus on extending the reach of BBC News to new readers around the world by improving our language support and pioneering new and engaging ways of discovering and exploring the latest selection of news content.
The Ideal Candidate
Day to day you’ll be building web components for our pages including high quality CSS at scale and accessible semantic HTML, improving our automated test coverage, working with our page assembly configurations, integrating with internal APIs, helping to define and develop our cloud infrastructure, raising and reviewing pull requests, mentoring and supporting other developers, engaging with other web, frameworks and data teams, and helping with future feature planning.
- High-quality HTML5 and Sass/CSS
- At least one of: Ruby, Node.js, PHP
- Public cloud architecture and core AWS technologies
- Test-driven development, code reviews and git-based workflows
- Good interpersonal skills and a cooperative approach to working and problem solving
- Detailed Knowledge of HTTP, Caching, CDNs, TLS and core Internet protocols and technologies
- Defining and developing high-volume, horizontally scalable web architectures.
- Engaged in the wider Web engineering community
- DevOps and CI/CD environments and operational support of live applications
- A passion for News products
We are committed to healthy work-life balance, so flexible hours and remote working are possible. Additionally, you get access to the BBC Pension scheme, BBC Club and to the BBC Academy where you can pick from a wide range of online and in-person training courses.
Proposed Band D, Grade 8 Equivalent
Continuing / Permanent
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.