Senior Software Engineer (Cloud Platform)
Adopting public cloud is now an important part of the BBC's technology strategy, but guaranteeing non-functionals such as scale, performance, reliability and security for products like iPlayer and BBC News won't come for free as part of that transition.
We're looking for experienced engineers to design, build and operate the BBC's cloud platform.
Join a focussed group of engineers working on the technology foundations of the BBC's Digital division. We are a motivated team with a supportive engineering culture, passionate about the non-functionals.
The Online Technology Group's Engineering team works across on-premises and public cloud platforms. We're clustered around specific domains or groups of products, including our public cloud toolchain.
You'll work alongside a small team of engineers and partner with a product manager to define direction and technical approach.
Our method is agile/ lean, with an emphasis on the principles underlying continuous improvement and delivery.
The Ideal Candidate
We'd like to hear about your experience of:
- taking a senior role in a software engineering team, guiding at least one complex project from design through to operation
- contributing production code in python
- working with development and deployment tools including git, Jenkins
- following development practices such as functional and non-functional testing, pairing and code reviewing
Experience of one or more of the following is desirable:
- designing for and operating Amazon Web Services infrastructure at scale
- developing and operating robust, high-performance web services in python
- administering RHEL/ CentOS systems, including automation and rpm packaging
Permanent - Full Time
Location: Broadcast Centre, London, W12
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.