BBC Design & Engineering delivers products, platforms and services globally, supporting the BBC's digital transformation and helping to change the Corporation into an internet fit broadcaster
BBC Design & Engineering Platform is the department responsible for delivering the products and services (including tools, interfaces, components and systems) that drive the BBC’s audience-facing products. Our purpose is to free our audience-facing products to innovate. Our vision is to provide world-class platform services through speed, quality and innovation.
Within Digital Platform, the Online Production Systems (OPS) creates and maintains editorial tools, systems and workflows that supply a large number of online products with content, including News, Sport, /programmes, and Children. The sub-teams within OPS are: Media Tools, CPS, and iSite.
PURPOSE OF ROLE
BBC Digital - Platform is looking for an experienced, professional and enthusiastic developer to join a world-class team responsible for delivering next-generation content management and content delivery tools.
You will be developing a sophisticated and dynamic web application using the latest technologies and best practices, based on React, ES6 and Backbone.js with extensive use of HTML5, CSS3, Sass and continuous delivery. You will work with both front and back end developers, with the opportunity to learn about both.
You will follow a test-driven approach using Jasmine, Karma and Behat, and collaborate with other developers using GIT as a version control system with frequent pair programming, code reviews and an up to date web development toolkit including Webpack, Babel, grunt and AWS..
Key responsibilities will include:
- Design and implement web application and content management components to specification that are efficient, scalable and well abstracted, using a mix of server side and client side technologies
- Write unit and functional tests using test driven development (TDD) and behaviour driven development (BDD) techniques to ensure code quality
- Write clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation
- Liaise with product teams to explore and suggest appropriate technical solutions to achieve the required product features while safeguarding reliability, scalability and performance
- Work with all relevant parties on the deployment to the live site and all intermediate hosting environments
- Ensure software conforms to operational requirements of hosting environments
- Work with test and operations teams to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the life cycle
- Be responsible for work quality and process, ensuring it meets the teams and BBC Online technical standards and guidelines
- Monitor work against the production schedule closely and provide progress updates and report any issues or technical difficulties to senior colleagues on a regular basis
The Ideal Candidate
Skills, Experience and qualifications:
- Experience of accessibility, usability and cross-browser issues
- Experience and enthusiasm for working in a TDD/BDD environment
- Experience of developing code within a UNIX environment (ideally CentOS/Red Hat EL)
- An understanding of RESTful web service usage and design
- At ease working in a fast changing environment with rapid release cycles
- An understanding of agile development methodologies
- Experience of supporting, modifying and maintaining systems and code developed by 3rd parties
- Self-motivated with good organisational skills in order to work to challenging deadlines
- Experience of working with code repositories (e.g. Git) and bug tracking tools (e.g. Trac, JIRA)
- Experience of pair programming
- Experience of using Webpack and ES6
- Experience of AWS
- Experience with single-page applications
- Experience using GitHub as a code review tool
- Experience with continuous integration to automate builds (e.g. Hudson, Jenkins)
- Experience with Node
- Experience developing content management solutions
- Experience with Ruby/Cucumber
- Experience with PHP
- Familiarity with or an interest in learning other programming languages
- Experience of user experience design and information architecture
- Experience of advanced XML technologies, such as XML Schema, XForms, XPath and XQuery
- Experience or interest in full stack development
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.