Senior Software Engineer - Media Services
Media Services is the team responsible for publishing all of the BBC's online audio and video content, powering iPlayer, iPlayer Radio, News and Sport. We handle live content, catch up, and podcasts.
Every day we ingest and publish over 1000 hours of video content, and publish 3-4 TB of new files.
We make programmes available using a range of the latest streaming technologies, providing the best possible playback across multiple platforms and devices. All of this adds up to a high-profile, large-scale product with a fast-moving development environment.
Our main system is called Video Factory. This BBC Academy article gives an overview of the system: http://www.bbc.co.uk/academy/technology/article/art20141031135408727
The BBC Internet Blog has several posts about Video Factory :
A talk about Continuous Delivery and Video Factory from the BBC Digital Open Day:
To design, develop and support products and services that publish the BBC's audio and video content online. This includes:
- Designing and developing software and APIs for use across the BBC.
- Writing unit and integration tests, within automated test driven environments to ensure code quality.
- Reviewing the work of other team members and providing assistance as required.
- Writing clear, concise and comprehensive technical documentation.
- Keeping abreast of new technologies which can be used to enhance the way we publish and deliver our audio and video content.
The Ideal Candidate
The Ideal Candidate
You will have a passion for software and technical innovation, and enjoy being involved in the complete lifecycle from project scoping through to implementation, testing and ongoing maintenance. We are looking for engineers who able to design and implement solutions utilising a variety of technologies, frameworks and platforms in order to deliver industry-leading solutions.
You should have an appreciation of BBC output and a passion for technology in the new media environment.
Experience and techs needed:
Back end development
Cloud Technology exposure
Thehiring event has been designed to offer afair opportunity to showcase your software developmentskills - the event will berun by our own team of BBC Engineers. All candidates must complete a technical challenge and once successful you will receive an invitation to attend our next assessment centre scheduled for Friday 19thMay 2017 in our London HQ - New Broadcasting House, W1A 1AA.
Upon a successful interview we will hire on the same day so please come along andshowcase your skills.
- Excellent career progression: the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities:our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community:we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges:we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits:We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.