Senior Software Engineer - (Core Java, HTTP & Rest/SOAP APi)
Would you like to work in an innovative team, within a inspirational environment and love technology? Then BBC Engineeringis the place for you!
TheSenior Software Engineer will have full responsibilityto help build the nextgeneration of PCSproducts. One of the core aspects of the rolewill include making a major contribution to andowning the complete setup of micro-services that make up the PCS product suite. Making a highly valuablecontributionto theimplementation and delivery of software and hardware components. Taking joint ownershipwith the DevOps teams, the operational stability of the components to be builtand bein a position to affect change to improve the on-going robustness, resiliency and stability of those components.
PCS will operate a continuous delivery DevOps model with emphasis on deployment automation, TDD, BDD,monitoring and on-going ownership of components in production.
The key responsibilities of the Senior Software Engineer will include the following:
- To deliver software components to enable PCS products
- To design and develop high-volume, high-performance, high-availability Java applications
- To ensure consistent use of shared platform components and technologies within PCS
- To design and develop reusable libraries and APIs for use across the BBC.
- To contribute to best practice for Java application development at the BBC
- To write unit and integration tests, within automated test environments to ensure code quality
- To assist in defining the team's technical strategy and advising on product roadmaps and migrationplans to achieve strategic goals
- To liaise with the principal engineers and technical architect
- To automate the entire deployment process on all environments
The Ideal Candidate
The skills and experience of theSenior Software Engineer will include:
- Experience of the following is essential: JAVA, REST, XQuery, XPATH, XSLT, JMS
- Desirable technology:memcache, Apache HTTPd server, Tomcat, Linux, HTTP, MySQL
- Experience designing or implementing public facing REST APIs
- A strong and demonstrablebackground in software engineering, software design or database design and architecture
- Demonstrable experience of developing on cloud based environments
- Demonstrable experience developing software in a SOA or micro-services paradigm
- Experience with chunked HTTP media delivery formats and methods
Thehiring event has been designed to offer afair opportunity to showcase your software developmentskills - the event will berun by our own team of BBC Engineers. All candidates must complete a technical challenge and once successful you will be invited to attend a one-day hiring event scheduled for Friday 16thJune 2017 in our London HQ - New Broadcasting House, W1A 1AA.
Successful applicant should expect offers on the same day on Friday 16thJune 2017.
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.