Creative Technologist / Web Developer
BBC Research & Development are looking for a creative technologist or web developer to work on a new project that will be prototyping innovative online formats for news. You will be building prototypes that explore alternatives to current article and online video formats for the new audiences, new technologies and new services in the world today and in the future. You will work as part of a multidisciplinary team of developers, UX designers, journalists and producers.
This is an exciting opportunity to work on something that will ultimately have an impact on the way the BBC works, the tools our editorial and journalist colleagues use, and the online products and services we offer to our audience.
This is a 1-year full-time fixed-term contract or attachment at grade 8, based in central London but we can offer some flexibility in working arrangements.
BBC R&D has a worldwide reputation for leading the research and development of many key internet, broadcast and media technologies. This role is in the Internet Research & Future Services (IRFS) team of BBC R&D whose work focuses on media, the internet and user experiences. We build systems and prototypes, carry out original research and solve problems for the BBC. We work in small, multidisciplinary teams of developers, designers and producers.
You should care about the people who will use what you build - ensuring things are easy to use, solve real problems and meet people’s needs.
You should be curious about exploring the many possibilities of this research area in news, be creative and full of ideas, and have the ability to express your ideas clearly to people.
You should want to work in a multidisciplinary team alongside UX designers, content producers, writers, filmmakers and journalists, solving problems using a mixture of good journalism, technology and design.
You should have a strong interest in journalism and news and how best to use digital technologies to improve it.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential Skills & Experience
- Experience of developing prototypes quickly, knowing what to prioritise when
- Ability to work effectively as a part of a multidisciplinary team, particularly with UX design colleagues, using appropriate processes and tools
- Excellent HTML5/CSS2/3 skills including CSS frameworks
- Strong understanding of responsive design and cross-browser compatibility issues and experience of developing mobile-friendly websites
- Proficiency in modern software development, using git/GitHub and issue tracking as a core part of the team process
- Ability to learn new technologies and be able to apply these to projects as applicable
Desirable skills and experience
- Experience with HTML5 web audio and video
- Experience of one or more server-side scripting languages or environments, e.g. Node.js, Ruby, Python. Including setup, installation and maintenance
- Understanding of web accessibility issues and appropriate methods for testing
- Experience on open source or community projects
- Ability to do simple interaction and visual design for digital products
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.