Senior Software Engineer ( Test ) – Performance ( SEIT ), TV & Radio
The TV & Radio Product Group in BBC Design & Engineering works on multiple products and systems to deliver innovative and exciting online experiences around the best TV & radio content in the world. We work on iPlayer, Radio and programmes web sites and support in house systems that allow the BBC to schedule radio programmes.
The team is responsible for a wide range of pages including the radio network homepages ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1 ),music event sites https://www.bbc.co.uk/music/events/by/date/2017 ), BBC Music(http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/ ), programme pages (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00c000j) and the responsive web iPlayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer as well as in house systems.
We work in an agile environment, with several teams developing new features for release against both Scrum and Kanban lifecycles. Our goal is to develop imaginative and engaging new features for our product portfolio, delivering across multiple devices without compromising on quality,standards and accessibility, serving our 15m+ weekly unique audience and driving up audience reach.
About the team
We are based in the London BBC offices at Broadcast centre. It’s a fast paced environment, with lots of cross team working – juggling new requirements with changing dependencies from other BBC teams. We relish being under pressure, and we don’t shy away from a challenge! One of our biggest strengths is pulling together and working as a team to get releases out on time, to budget and to the highest quality.
We’re also passionate about personal development and creativity. We run regular ‘hack days’ where the whole team has chance to work on projects outside of BAU tasks and we’ve had several experiences of hack day projects making it to Live.
In addition to organised hack days, we encourage everyone in the team to contribute towards decisions developers and testers are encouraged to seek out new tools, technologies and ways of working, to continually improve our processes.
Why should you join us?
We’re passionate about testing – and we’re lucky to work in a team where everyone appreciates the test team’s efforts. We work extremely closely with the developers and encourage lots of test/dev collaboration.
We work in a very unique environment, where we have to satisfy lots of different user needs – this includes covering many different browsers, platforms, mobile devices and geographical areas whilst also ensuring our products are accessible to users with additional requirements such as assistive technologies.
We're looking for an experienced Performance and Capacity Engineer with in-depth knowledge of cloud based infrastructure testing and delivery. You’ll be responsible for driving automated performance and capacity assurance of cloud infrastructure projects as part of the overall TV&Radio programme.
You’ll need to be familiar with best practice web infrastructure design, performance and scalability considerations, security and privacy constraints and the technologies and tools to support. This is a great opportunity for anyone interested in designing, overseeing and teaching industry leading automation frameworks covering high traffic consumer facing products.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of developing and maintaining automated tests
- Experience in creating and running automated tests within a Continuous Integration environment, preferably using Jenkins
- Experience with building in testability to product code.
- Practical experience source control tools e.g. Github, SVN
- Experience of working and influencing agile process across disciplines (Scrum, Kanban)
- Experience leading and influencing across teams to adopt / improve tools.
- Experience in developing Test Plans, Test Scripts, Defining Test Data and Reports
- Ability to write and execute both automated and manual tests (Functional, Non-Functional, Regression)
- Ability to interpret and translate business and technical requirements into Tests automated or manual tests as appropriate.
- Good understanding of web technologies e.g. XML, HTML, ASP, REST, JSON, AngularJS, CSS
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams with designers, architects and software developers
- Experience in mentoring/coaching technical staff in the best practices and practical requirements of performance engineering
- Experience in design and implementation of cloud based, automated test frameworks as part of a Continuous Integration/Delivery pipeline
- Experience coding with any of Java, Scala, Ruby, Python.
- Experience of cloud based technologies and infrastructure design, preferably Amazon AWS
- Experience in performance assurance of costumer facing, high-volume, horizontally scalable platforms
- Experience with open source performance testing software eg. Gatling, JMeter, etc
- Previous experience in software development and delivery
- Experience testing on Unix based (various Linux) and Windows operating systems
- A knowledge of BBC products, output, or infrastructure would be an advantage
- knowledge of performance testing Web UIs – eg Lighthouse, webpage etc
- Build experience with: Java, Maven2, Artifactory
- Experience in Cloud Formation, VPC, ELB, Cloudwatch, EC2,
- Implementing performance tests within a CD pipeline.
- Experience in DynamoDB, MySQL, REDIS, RDS, SQLServer
Grade 8 (proposed band D)
Continuing / Perm
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background