Senior Software Engineer in Test - Interactive TV
BBC TV Software Engineering is an integral part of delivering on our strategy, for more Digital BBC creating distinctive, world class content and services.
Our teams are responsible for creating and running BBC interactive applications and services on TV based devices, we are tasked to create compelling and increasingly personalised experiences that our audiences love.
We are responsible for key audience functionality including media playback and text based services for BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport and BBC News on TV’s, games consoles and other IPTV devices. Using world-class engineering & test practices, we encourage and cultivate improvement, at both team and personal level. Our department is based in Dock House at MediaCityUK in Salford, Greater Manchester. Our team is composed of Software Engineers, Testers, Product and Delivery people working in close collaboration.
We are looking for a Senior SEIT (Software Engineer in Test) to be a leader of Automated Testing activities at a pan-product level.
Working in Test you will be collaborating with Testers and software developers in the successful delivery of high quality software for our major products: BBC iPlayer, BBC Sport, BBC News, TV Application Layer and Red Button services.
The successful candidate will,
- Have a passion for testing and automation.
- Have a proactive approach and be able collaborate and influence well, ensuring you are responsive to feedback from the team.
- Understand where how automation can provide sustained value an aid delivery.
- You will be ready to take on challenges, including of automating testing on devices and be able to adapt and refine your approaches to achieve successful outcomes.
- Mentoring less skilled team members to encourage adoption of Test automation and support their growth.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience of developing and maintaining automated tests
- Experience in shaping and implementation of automated test frameworks.
- Experience in creating automated tests within a Continuous Integration environment, preferably using Jenkins
- Experience of Page Object Model frameworks
- Practical experience source control tools e.g. Github, SVN
- Experience of working and influencing agile process across disciplines (Scrum, Kanban, Waterfall, V-Model)
- Experience leading and influencing across teams to adopt / improve tools.
- Experience in developing Test Plans, Test Scripts, Defining Test Data and Reports
- Experience of Test and Issue Management tools e.g. TestRail, Quality Centre, Jira, Enterprise Tester, etc.
- Ability to write and execute both automated and manual tests (Functional, Non-Functional, Regression)
- Ability to interpret Sequence / State Transition Diagrams, Use Cases, Detailed Designs and Wireframes
- Ability to interpret and translate business and technical requirements into Tests automated or manual tests as appropriate.
- Good understanding of web technologies e.g. XML, HTML, ASP, REST, JSON, AngularJS, CSS
- Experience of using Network tools such as Wireshark, Charles, Browsermob
- Performance or security testing experience an advantage
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background