Senior Solutions Architect
BBC Engineering provides the foundations for broadcasting - we keep the BBC’s services on-air 24 hours a day, seven days a week. That means everything from transmission for TV and radio - enabling us to reach 97% of adults in the UK every week including the cameras, mixing desks, email and business systems for our world-class programme makers and staff.
It is this technology that connects our colleagues and our viewers to our content. To support the BBC, now and in the future, our priorities are to make sure we’re flexible, efficient and can take advantage of all the digital developments happening in broadcasting.
Our objectives are to:
- Deliver agreed portfolio priorities to plan
- Delivery on our major projects
- Be a strategic partner with the rest of the BBC
- Make real the Engineering Operating model
- Build the capability we need to deliver the Engineering Vision
This role sits within Business Systems in BBC Engineering which sets the technology strategy and delivers and supports solutions to optimise running of all the BBC’s business critical functions including HR, Finance, Procurement, Legal and Workplace.
Purpose of the role
The primary purpose of this role is to define and coordinate the technical tasks for the development and implementation of bespoke or commercial off the shelf software and related interfaces in accordance with the organisations standards. The role will provide detailed system and technical expertise, technical support and knowledge to both service delivery and business change functions ensuring dependencies and relationships between all associated systems and projects are understood, maintained and can be communicated effectively to relevant stakeholders.
Size and scope:
Systems complexity: The systems landscape will contain applications and system components typically involving multiple business and technical dependencies, business critical systems and processes and personally and commercially sensitive environments
Stakeholder management: First or secondary point of contact for a variety of stakeholders
3rd Party Relationships: Supporting 3rd party partners and suppliers supporting delivering application services, medium to large projects or small changes
Information & Security management: Ensure that all the requirements of statutory and BBC safety and information security regulations are fully met including adherence to the BBC’s policies
Recruitment: Support recruitment process for the team by taking part in selection boards and making selection decisions for engagement of new colleagues including specialist contractors.
Project Support: Provide SME input into projects relating to Finance, Procurement and HR systems implementations and transitions into BAU
- Be the Technical Lead for the Business Systems Finance, HR and Procurement and other related systems
- Lead on technical requirements gathering and quality assurance with the Business Systems and supplier Project Managers, analyse and support them in presenting fully rounded solution options that align with BBC Engineering standards and strategies
- Work with the Product Managers and Head of Architecture Systems Owner to ensure systems evolve and improve and align with the systems roadmap and identify risks and providing risk mitigations
- Responsible for ensuring systems design and architecture is fit for purpose and that non-functional requirements are considered and align with current standards including accessibility, performance, disaster recovery and security
- Ensure all work is conducted in accordance with current safety legislation and BBC safety policies, security policies and statutory requirements relevant to the task
- Responsible for maintaining the Business Systems interface directory, for setting and enforcing interface standards (including security aspects) and quality assurance of new interfaces and changes to existing interfaces
- Responsible for providing technical consultancy to project delivery and development teams, procurement, service design and change management teams
- Responsible for providing technical expertise to project teams throughout the lifecycle of a project
- Working with project & service delivery teams responsible for the commissioning and acceptance ensuring new installations/services are fit for purpose, supportable, and are built against agreed specification and installation standards
- Ensure that projects and changes are following agreed Service Management standards with regard to Change, Incident, Problem and Release Management.
- Responsible for the production of technical documentation, ensuring quality and accuracy
The Ideal Candidate
Knowledge of SAP technical architecture including:
- SAP ECC 6 and above
- Enterprise Portal
- Solution Manager
- Business Objects Business Intelligence
- Business Objects Data Services
- Business Objects BPC
Knowledge of OpenText Content Suite technical architecture
Knowledge of server operating system technical architecture including:
- Red Hat Linux 6 and above
- Windows Server 2008 R2 and above
- VMware vSphere
Knowledge of software licensing models
Authoritative knowledge of security policies and statutory requirements relevant to the role
- Understanding of a complex SAP landscape
- Knowledge and experience of SAP best practices
- Knowledge of SAP Basis administration
- Knowledge of SAP security and authorisations
- Knowledge of ITIL standards and the principles of service support and delivery
- Knowledge of Information security standards such as ISO/IEC 27000
- Knowledge of TOGAF
- Knowledge of RDBMS including SQL Server and DB2
- Solution orientated and problem solving
- Analytical problem solving skills to aid in the determination of root cause
- Experience of working on the full project lifecycle
- Experience of creating/managing architecture diagrams/plans
- Experience in managing/supporting a complex technical systems/environment
- Experience of technology projects including business change deliverables
- Experience in working with 3rd party suppliers
- Experience of implementing SAP Finance, Procurement or HR end to end solutions
- Experience within the SAP environment covering multiple implementations, projects or support instances in a Technical Lead role
- Experience of supplier relationship management
- Experience of having to communicate clearly with a range of people at different levels of the organisation and explain and discuss technical issues using a range of styles, tools and techniques
- Experience of assisting in budget for internal hardware/software and resourcing
- Experience in the media sector or broadcast environment
- Grade 9 (Proposed new band D)
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title shortly after joining the BBC. This re-alignment will not affect the terms and conditions of the appointment.