Senior UX Writer
We design the BBC’s amazing digital experiences, from apps to websites, from iPlayer to CBeebies.
Our ace team of UX designers, information architects, researchers and writers work with people from across the BBC, especially product, editorial and tech. Together we create elegant, delightful experiences that wow audiences and win awards.
- Be the voice of UX Writing in project teams, explaining your rationale to developers, editorial staff and product managers.
- Collaborate with designers, researchers, product managers, marketers and engineers.
- Turn complex concepts into clear, concise, compelling copy. And consider things like tone, clarity, scannability and layout along the way.
- Write interface copy for all BBC products. Things like headlines, body copy, calls to action, navigation labels, error messages, onboarding flows and FAQs.
- Adapt to different platforms, be they websites, apps or conversational UIs, while still keeping things coherent. And inspire fellow UX writers and other colleagues to do the same.
- Work with people across the BBC to promote UX writing as a discipline.
- Help colleagues to become better writers, be it by running training or just setting a good example.
- Oversee the creation of writing and tone of voice guidelines for BBC products. And work with people across the BBC to make sure we're sticking to them.
- Line manage, mentor and develop colleagues, inspiring them to new creative heights.
- Oversee the work of other UX writers in the team and inspire them with your own work.
- Commission and review work from external agencies, freelancers and content producers to learn new things, see new perspectives and create new ideas.
- Instigate projects and prioritise your own workload.
- Help organise formal user research and proactively try out ideas and designs with people on the street to make sure we’re meeting real user needs.
- Look for opportunities to create new storytelling formats in BBC products. And sell these ideas in to product and editorial teams to make them a reality.
- Lead the creation of content for these new storytelling formats.
The Ideal Candidate
Your portfolio’s full of great writing for all sorts of digital experiences, be they websites, chatbots, apps or games. Or maybe something new we’ve never even heard of. Now you’re ready to use that expertise to inspire us to raise our writing game.
Yes, you can hammer out headlines and fine-tune CTAs till the cows come home. But you know it’s about more than just getting clicks. You take a broader, more strategic view, thinking about the overall experience and how the right word choice, tone and narrative flow can make the whole thing sing.
Ideas? You’re full of them. And you’re comfortable explaining your thinking to absolutely anyone, no matter how senior or inexperienced. So you’re always ready to try out different styles, tones and approaches to get the best results.
You’re enthusiastic and curious about the possibilities of digital writing. So you keep up to speed with all the latest technical and storytelling trends. And you take every opportunity to put them into action in your day-to-day work.
You’ve got experience writing for digital. But more importantly you’re fascinated by how words and the ways we use them can help create better digital experiences.
Oh, and you spotted the typo in that last paragraph straight away.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.