Senior Web Developer, Connected Studio (Cloud)
A recent addition to our portfolio of activities is Connected Studio, which is an initiative designed to stimulate disruptive mid-term innovation at scale, providing the environment and level of resources needed to pursue big, game-changing ideas and maximise successful transfer of ideas into live BBC output â both online and broadcast. BBC Future Media is now building on the success of the first phase of this initiative to create a permanent physical and virtual space in which the BBC and wider industry can explore âconnected storytellingâ through projects that develop new, distinctive and connected content and the tools that make this content possible. The Studio will support collaboration and partnership across the UK creative sector - encompassing broadcasters, producers, developers, academics and the wider industry.
We are recruiting for a Senior Web Developer within Research & Development, part of BBC Future Media. BBC R&D has a worldwide reputation for contributing and leading the engineering research and development of many of the key broadcast and media technologies that have been introduced over the last 50 years. BBC R&D is based in three main labs, two in London and one as part of the MediaCity:UK development in Salford.
As the Senior / Lead Web Developer assisting in the Connected Studio programme youâll be expected to contribute to on-going BBC R&D development and strategy, provide architectural and engineered solutions for Connected Studio pilots as well as provide technical authority, critical analysis, ideas and assistance to external partners in supplying solutions to the Connected Studio programme.
Youâll contribute to ideas inside/outside the organisation, engage in new ideas and cutting edge technologies, deliver projects in a range of technologies and push the boundaries in order to deliver new and exciting products/services for the BBC.
The Ideal Candidate
To be successful youâll possess the following skills and experience and skills:
· Solid experience of Software-as-a-Service and Platform-as-a-Service Cloud models.
· Knowledge of the software design, development, testing and maintenance process
· Good knowledge of source code management â e.g. SVN, Git
· Possess a good honours degree in Electronics, Physics, Computer Science or a closely related subject or equivalent knowledge
· Knowledge and proven experience of installing and supporting many Linux distributions, specifically Debian and Ubuntu is beneficial.
· Understanding of the requirements of an active Research & Development department.
Youâll also have excellent analytical, problem solving, communications and relationship building skills.