Software Engineer - BBC Education
In BBC Education you’ll help change the lives of millions of people by delivering world-class learning experiences via our Bitesize and Food products. We deliver amazing online products and apps that inform, educate, entertain and inspire.
Our vision is to unlock learning potential in everything the BBC does and make learning feel effortless, through connected services built around world-class BBC content and by joining our team you will be given the opportunity to make a real difference to the BBC's online mission.
Our agile teams are made up of software engineers, testers, user experience designers, design researchers, product owners, business analysts and project managers, all striving to create extraordinary experiences for our audiences.
Learning, developing and sparking curiosity is part our culture, so you will be joining a team who really care about you, the development of your technical skills, your career aspirations and your contribution to our great team culture.
In BBC Education we build our products following Continuous Delivery practises on AWS with a strong focus on Node.JS, often using the Express and Restify frameworks. Builds run with fully automated build pipelines - using Jenkins - deploying to live multiple times a day.
We follow agile development methodologies and practice Test Driven Development, Behaviour Driven Development and paired programming.
We excel at collaboration and often we work closely with other teams in the BBC - and external companies - to push our capabilities further.
The Ideal Candidate
As a Software Engineer you will be expected develop software to a high standard with an emphasis on quality.
You’ll have a strong background in software development and good knowledge of design principles and patterns - with a strong focus on web technologies.
You’ll love learning new technologies and are able to evaluate them and apply these to a variety of projects.
You’ll have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. You’ll promote your skills, share your knowledge and contribute to the evolution of best practices throughout the department and the BBC.
The ideal candidate
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- An enthusiasm for Education and Learning for all levels
- A good knowledge of development best practice
- Great development skills and experience building applications: ideally in Node.JS
- Experience of test driven development: unit and integration
- Experience of Agile Programming, pairing and working within a collaborative team
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.