Software Engineer - BBC Good Food and Top Gear
We are seeking a highly-skilled, collaborative software engineer to work in small agile teams across our leading web properties, BBC Good Food and BBC Top Gear.
Applicants should have a fundamental understanding of computer science; be well versed in engineering best practices and software design patterns; and be able to demonstrate experience building scalable responsive web and mobile applications using a combination of technologies.
Several of our products use Drupal 7 as their core CMS, so experience with this is essential but applicants should be keen to learn and use other technologies where required.
- Contribute to a detailed understanding of technical requirements
- Collaboratively design and develop fit-for-purpose solutions that are flexible, secure, maintainable and performant
- Work with 3rd party teams and other in-house teams
- Use appropriate toolsets for full SDLC
- Passion for agile delivery methodologies
- Ensure high quality through Behavioural and Test Driven Development (BDD/TDD)
- Write efficient, testable, reusable and well documented code
- Write automated tests and work with QA team to ensure compatibility and quality
- Explore and understand new and existing solutions and solve complex problems
The Ideal Candidate
Key technologies used (must be experienced with these):
- Drupal 7
- Git or similar
- Jira or similar
- Confluence or similar
- MySQL or similar
- At least 1 of Apache, NGINX, Varnish
- Enthusiastic about sharing knowledge with others
- Willingness to support your team’s code through in and out-of-hours rotas
- Able to adapt quickly to understand new-to-you technologies
- Highly curious about experimenting with new-to-everyone technologies
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills
- Collaboration/Team oriented with the ability to be self-reliant
- Degree in Computer Science or comparable background/experience
About the Company
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in; commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world, In 2015/16, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of £133.8M and headline sales of £1,029.4M and returned £222.2M to the BBC. Comprised predominantly of the non-English speaking world, our Global Markets business encompasses Western Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (CEMA), Asia and Latin America. Business activities range from TV sales and channel operation to production and intellectual property exploitation, Commerce.